Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2023-7-3-55-60

Abstract. In Russian emigration of the first wave, A.S. Pushkin became a symbol of the abandoned motherland, a sign of high spiritual culture, the personification of the national spirit.  Sasha Cherny’s writing is characterized by an appeal to the images of Russian literature, the names of Zhukovsky, Pushkin, Lermontov, Gogol appeare in his books and their characters become a part of artistic world of an emigrant writer. Sasha Cherny has a number of works where his heroines are compared with Pushkin's ones. It happens in the story «The Moscow Case» (1926), and the heroine of the story «Buba» (1931) gives her own interpretation to the image of Tatiana Larina. The novelty of the presented material is explained by the fact that for the first time an attempt was made to comprehend the perception features of Pushkin's heroine from the perspective of a twentieth-century literature using the story "Buba" as an example. As a result of the research, we came to the conclusion that in the work by Sasha Cherny there is a discrepancy between the main characters – the narrator and his niece – in the perception of Tatiana Larina, whose character is largely simplified in a twentieth- century young girl mind. A young Buba strives to find a place in a new world for her, but her fashionable hobbies: reading magazines, going to the cinema, doing ballet – turn out to be a parody of the lifestyle, upbringing and education of a noble girl of the XIX century. Thus, the hidden author's irony becomes an expression of the writer's position. The relevance of the research is determined by the growing interest in the literature of Russian Diaspora, and books by Sasha Cherny in particular. The main research methods were comparative and holistic analysis of the given story. The materials of the article can be used in university courses on history of Russian abroad literature.

Keywords. Sasha Cherny, A. S. Pushkin, Tatiana Larina, a short story, a Russian legend, a narrator, a literary hero.

Author

Marina A. Zhirkova – Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Journalism and Literary Education of the Leningrad State University named after A.S. Pushkin, Saint Petersburg, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID ID: 0000-0003-4107-6944.

References

1. Bulatov I. A., l' «Dnya russkoi kul'tury» v formirovanii identichnosti russkoi emigratsii «pervoi volny», Chelovek i kul'tura [Man and Culture], 2023, no. 2, pp. 91–101.

2. Venok Pushkinu. Iz poezii pervoi emigratsii / sost., predisl. i komment. M. D. Filina, Moscow, Ellis Lak, 1994, 288 p.

3. Zhirkova M. A., Aleksandr Kuprin i Sasha Chernyi: druzheskii i tvorcheskii dialog, Vestnik RUDN. Ser. Literaturovedenie. Zhurnalistika [RUDN Journal of Studies in Literature and Journalism], vol. 22, no. 3, 2017, pp. 407-416.

4. Zhirkova M. A., Literaturnye proobrazy geroini «Moskovskogo sluchaya», Zhirkova M. A. «Neser'ez-nye rasskazy» Sashi Chernogo, Moscow, Flinta, Nauka, 2015, pp. 71–82.

5. Ivanov A.. «Akh, zachem net Chekhova na svete!» (Proza Sashi Chernogo), Chernyi Sasha. Sobr. soch.: V 5-ti t. T. 4: Rasskazy dlya bol'shikh. / sost., podgot. teksta i komment. A. S. Ivanova, Moscow, Ellis Lak, 2007. pp. 5-24.

6. Korostelev O. A., Fedyakin S. R., Polemika G. V. Adamovicha i V. F. Khodasevicha (1927-1937), Rossiiskii literaturovedcheskii zhurnal, 1994, no. 4, pp. 204–250.

7. Lebedeva S. E., Osnovnye napravleniya literaturnoi polemiki russkogo zarubezh'ya pervoi volny i ikh otrazhenie v zhurnale «Sovremennye zapiski»: avtoref. dis. … kand. filol. nauk. Moskva, 2007, 26 p.

8. Lotman Yu. M., Pushkin, Saint Petersburg, Iskusstvo-SPb, 1995, 847 p.

9. Milenko V. D., Sasha Chernyi. Moscow, Molod. gvardiya, 2014, 366 p.

10. Pokhlebkin V. V., Kulinarnyi slovar, Moscow, Izd.-vo «E», 2015, 456 p.

11. Pushkin i kul'tura russkogo zarubezh'ya: Mezhdunarodnaya nauchnaya konferentsiya, posvyashchennaya 200-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya. Materialy i issledovaniya / sost. M. A. Vasil'eva, Moscow, Russkii put', 2000, 408 p.

12. Raev M. Rossiya za rubezhom: Istoriya kul'tury russkoi emigratsii. 1919–1939, Moscow, Progress-Akademiya, 1994, 296 p.

13. Rasskazova L. V., Kuprina Kseniya Aleksandrovna, Kuprinskaya entsiklopediya. avt. proekta i gl. red. T. A. Kaĭmanova, Penza, IP Sokolov A. Yu., 2016, pp. 297–298.

14. Sergeeva- Klyatis A. «Pereklikat'sya s Pushkinym»: Khodasevich i Pasternak o massovoi i elitarnoi poezii, Literaturnyi fakt, 2021, no. 1 (19), pp. 325–334.

15. Tumanov D. V. Obraz Pushkina v literature russkogo zarubezh'ya, Russkaya literature, 2009, no. 4, pp. 183-191.

16. Tumanov D. V., Obraz Pushkina v publitsistike russkogo zarubezh'ya, Izvestiya Yuzhnogo federal'nogo un.-ta. Fi-lol. nauki, 2009, no. 2, pp. 135–147.

For citation

Zhirkova M. A. Tatiana Larina Image Perception by the Twentieth-Century Literature Characters in Short story «Buba» by Sasha Cherny, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2023, vol. 7, no 3, pp. 55–60.