Download PDF

DOI:10.18503/2658-3186-2023-7-2-06-13

Abstract. The article deals with the issue of a teacher-student interaction in the educational environment of a modern Russian higher educational institution, and its inherent characteristic should be creation of an interaction system between all the participants in the educational process, allowing its most effective implementation. The analysis of existing problems and students’ needs in the context of their interaction with the teaching staff is relevant and justified by the need for changes in the system of higher education, as far as its reformation is actively debated. The research is conducted on the basis of the survey and oral interviews methods, as well as a method of a literature review on the problem under discussion. The results allow to confirm that 80% of the respondents have experienced negative stress during the learning process. The 93% of the students believe in a teacher’s leading role when reducing the level of negative stress in the classroom and creating friendly learning environment. The students' need for support of the teaching staff has also been proved: from the students' point of view, a respectful interaction between a teacher and a student is more significant for a classroom atmosphere than the teacher's ability to transmit effectively the knowledge of the subject. Among the ways of demonstrating teacher’s respectful attitude are the following: absence of irritation and raising voice when answering questions, objective assessment of students' knowledge, ability to listen and willingness to help, as well as the teacher's ability to act as a partner. The analysis of the respondents’ answers shows that most of these ways are related not to the professional characteristics of the teacher, but to his/her personal qualities. Practical recommendations for the establishment of a balanced interaction between the teacher and the student and for minimization of anxiety level are given, which contributes to the effectiveness of the work to create a modern educational environment at the higher school. The results obtained in the course of the research can find practical application in professional development programs for university teaching staff that do not possess the pedagogical training.

Keywords: environment, higher education, teacher-student interaction, negative stress.

Author:

Elena N. Makarova – Doctor of Philology, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Business Foreign Language of Ural State University of Economics, Yekaterinburg, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Abramova I. E., Makarova E. N. Transformatsiya roli prepodavatelya inostrannykh yazykov v regional'nom vuze: sravnitel'nyi analiz sub"ektivnogo samochuvstviya pedagogov, Perspektivy nauki i obrazovaniya [Perspectives of Science and Education], 2020, no. 2(44), pp. 415–429.

2. Makarova L. N. Vzaimodeistvie prepodavatelei i studentov vuza i rezul'tativnost' obrazovatel'noi deyatel'nosti, Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Seriya: Gumanitarnye nauki [Tambov University Review. Series: Humanities], 2019, no. 24(178), pp. 7–12.

3. Medvedeva L. V. Struktura obrazovatel'no-informacionnogo prostranstva sovremennoj vysshej shkoly, Chelovek i obrazovanie, 2016, no.  1(46), pp. 85–90.

4. Narkhov D. Yu. Vzaimodeistvie prepodavatelya i studenta sovremennogo vuza: problemy sotsiologicheskogo issledovaniya, Vestnik Rossiiskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Seriya: Sotsiologiya [RUDN Journal of Sociology], 2010, no. 4, pp. 66–73.

5. Nikolaeva L. V., Savvinova R. V. Vzaimodeistvie prepodavatelya i studenta kak uslovie effektivnosti professional'noi podgotovki budushchikh sotsialistov, Sovremennye naukoemkie tekhnologii [Modern High Technologies], 2015, no. 12, pp. 351–354.

6. Semenov O. A., Nikolaev E. V., Semenova G. E. Issledovanie obraza sovremennogo prepodavatelya sredi studentov vuza [Elektronnyi tekst], Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern Problems of Science and Education], 2020, no. 1. URL: https://science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=29517 (date of access: 18.02.2023).

7. Tolstonogova I. V. Vzaimodeistvie «prepodavatel' – student» kak yadro akademicheskoi kommunikatsii na prakticheskom zanyatii po angliiskomu yazyku, In Modelirovanie effektivnoi rechevoi kommunikatsii v kontekste akademicheskogo i professional'no orientirovannogo vzaimodeistviya [Modeling effective speech communication in the context of academic and professionally oriented interaction], Minsk, BGU, 2016, pp. 99–104.

8. Usol'tsev A. P., Koshcheeva E. S. Fenomen pedagogicheskogo neprofessionalizma prepodavatelei vuzov, Pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie v Rossii [Pedagogical Education in Russia], 2022, no. 3, pp. 26–41.

9. Fedorov A. A., Ilaltdinova E. Yu., Frolova S. V. «Konventsiya pokolenii» v novom mire obrazovaniya, Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii [Higher Education in Russia], 2018, no. 27(7), pp. 28–38.

10. Shibaev V. P., Shibaeva L. M. Effektivnye formy vzaimodeistviya prepodavatelya i studentov v usloviyakh sovremennogo vuza, Mir nauki, kul'tury, obrazovaniya [The World of Science, Culture and Education], 2018, no. 4(71), pp. 313–314.

11. Brinkworth M. E., McIntyre J., Juraschek A. D., Gehlbach H. Teacher-student relationships: the positives and negatives of assessing both perspectives, Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 2018, no. 55, pp. 24–38.

12. Briody E. K., Wirtz E., Goldenstein A., Berger E. J. Breaking the tyranny of office hours: overcoming professor avoidance, European Journal of Engineering Education, 2019, no. 44(5), pp. 666–687.

13. Claessens L., van Tartwijk J., van der Want A. et al. Positive teacher-student relationships go beyond the classroom, problematic ones stay inside. The Journal of Educational Research, 2017, no. 110(5), pp. 478–493.

14. Farrell T. Reflecting on teacher–student relations in TESOL. ELT Journal, 2015, no. 69(1), pp. 26–34.

15. Maleki F., Talaei M. H., Moghadam S. et al. Investigating the influence of teachers' characteristics on the teacher-student relations from students' perspective at Ilam University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 2017, no. 11(6), pp. JC04–JC08.

16. Safaei N., Shahrokhi M. Relationship between teacher self-disclosure and teaching style: perception of EFL teachers. Cogent Education, 2019, no. 6, p. 1678231.

17. Sharma S., Sarkar P. Efficiency of blended learning in reduction of anxiety: with special reference to high school students, International Journal of Grid and Distributed Computing, 2020, no. 13(1), pp. 277–285.

18. Stocker S. L., Gallagher K. M. Alleviating and altering appraisals: Social-emotional learning in the college classroom, College Teaching, 2018, no. 67(1), pp. 23–35.

19. Yan Y. The research on teacher-student relationship from the perspective of educational philosophy, Open Journal of Social Sciences, 2019, no. 7(12), pp. 448–459.

20. Yusofi M., Zarghami-Hamrah S., Ghaedy Y., Mahmudnia A. A quasi-transcendental approach for removing hierarchical teacher-student relation, Policy Futures in Education, 2017, no. 16, pp. 346–359.

For citation

Makarova E. N. Formation of Educational Environment of a Modern University by Improving “Teacher – Student” Interaction, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2023, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 6–13.