Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2023-7-1-26-30

Abstract. The article summarizes the experience of participating and conducting ethnographic expeditions, presents materials related to the peculiarities of working in the "field" and their role in the formation and development of professional identity / professional culture of students, identifies the methods of the "field", shows the priorities in the expedition work. The problem of communication between the researcher and informants, the establishment of a special personal connection and friendly beginnings in relationships predetermined by the very ethics of work in the "field", does not lose its relevance for ethnologists – practitioners. The experience of the ethnographic expedition is reflected in the collective memory and leaves an impression, first of all, expressed in the desire to meet again, recall the days of work spent together, discuss the most entertaining stories. Such memorization not only forms and develops professional culture, including the culture of a novice researcher, but also becomes a part of this culture itself.

Keywords: ethnography, anthropology, identity, student, expedition, informant.

Authors:

Vladislav V. Medvedev – Ph.D. in History, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Social and Humanitarian Education, Surgut State Pedagogical University, Russia, Surgut; Research Fellow Center for Ethnohistory Institute of History and Archaeology of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Science, Surgut, Yekaterinburg Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Maxim V. Popov – Ph.D. in History, Associate Professor of the Department of General History Institute of Humanitarian Education, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Russia, Magnitogorsk; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Abashin S. N. Forum: Eticheskie problemy polevykh issledovanii, Antropologicheskii forum [Forum for Anthropology and Culture], 2006, no. 5, pp. 10–15.

2. Gadea Sh. Sotsiologiya professii i sotsiologiya professional'nykh grupp. V zashchitu izmeneniya podkhoda, Antropologiya professii, ili postoronnim vkhod razreshen / pod redaktsiei P. Romanova, E. Yarskoi-Smirnovoi (Biblioteka Zhurnala issledovanii sotsial'noi politiki), Moscow, OOO «Variant», TsSPGI, 2011, pp. 15–34.

3. Gromov D. V. Pole: nemnogo lichnogo opyta, Predmet i problemy etnologii i antropologii. Lektsii dlya aspirantov / sost. E. B. Barinova, Moscow, IEA RAN, 2016, pp. 335–343.

4. Medvedev V. V. Severnoe izmerenie nogaitsev, Tomskii zhurnal lingvisticheskikh i antropologicheskikh issledovanii [Tomsk Journal of Linguistics and Anthropology], 2022, vol. 3 (37), pp. 128–141.

5. Medvedev V. V., Popov M. V. Kul'tura – traditsionnaya, etnicheskaya, sovremennaya: quid est hoc?, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2019, T. 3, no. 2, pp. 30–35.

6. Salmin A. K. Oni khranyat traditsii, Materialy polevykh issledovanii MAE RAN, vol. 9. Saint Petersburg, MAE RAN, 2009, pp. 17–22.

7. Ushakov N. V. Polevoi seminar MAE RAN v 2011–2015 gg.: nekotorye itogi, Radlovskii sbornik. Nauchnye issledovaniya i muzeinye proekty MAE RAN v 2015 g. / otv. red. Yu. K. Chistov, Saint Petersburg, MAE RAN, 2016, pp. 291–298.

8. Shchepanskaya T. B. Pomorskii dnevnik T. A. Bernshtam: k metodike i praktike polevoi etnograficheskoi raboty, «Uvedi menya, doroga»: Sbornik statei pamyati T. A. Bernshtam / pod red. N. E. Mazalovoi, I. Yu. Vinokurovoi, V. A. Lapina i dr., Saint Petersburg, MAE RAN, 2010, pp. 7–16.

9. Howell J. Turning Out Good Ethnography, or Talking Out of Turn? Gender, Violence, and Confidentiality in Southeastern Mexico, Journal of Contemporary Ethnography, 2004, vol. 33, pp. 323–352.

For citation

Medvedev V. V. Popov M. V. The Experience of an Ethnographic Expedition in the Formation of Professional Identity, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2023, vol. 7, no.1, pp. 26–30.