Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2022-6-4-52-56

Abstract. The problem of proper names, their origin and history is still of interest to the general public. Anthroponyms are of  paramount importance in any language. Personal names are a special part of the language lexical system, within which they function and at the same time respond to various changes of the society. Anthroponymic units reflect both language changes and the historical and cultural development and character of a particular people. In the article the authors compare the anthroponymic systems of the German and Russian languages. Although Russian and German belong to different, narrower language families, the two languages have much in common in anthroponymy due to their primordial closeness within the Indo-European language. A personal name is a linguistic sign in which there is a strong relationship between semantics and pragmatics, so the study was carried out taking into account sociolinguistic and sociocultural aspects. Anthroponyms are common with all world languages. Despite the apparent similarity of the existing anthroponymic systems in different languages, each nation has its own naming traditions, reflecting customs, religious beliefs or aesthetic ideas. Thus, they can serve for the historical study of people life, like other cultural, literary and language monuments. The authors highlight semantic analysis issues of personal names. This aspect of anthroponymy is debatable, and this determines the relevance of the paper. The purpose of this study is to analyze the relationship between the German and Russian anthroponymics, from both linguistic and sociological point of view. The practical relevance of the work is in the fact that the information obtained can serve as the basis for further comparative studies of anthroponymic material, and can also be used in pedagogical practice in German or East Slavic anthroponymy.

Keywords: personal name, onym, anthroponymicon, semantics, German onomasticon, Russian onomasticon.

Authors

Olesya V. Kisel – PhD in Philology, Associate Professor of the Foreign Languages in Engineering Department Institute of Humanitarian Education, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Angelina I. Dubskikh, PhD in Philology, Associate Professor of the Foreign Languages in Engineering Department Institute of Humanitarian Education, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Anna V. Butova - PhD in Philology, Associate Professor of the Foreign Languages in Engineering Department Institute of Humanitarian Education, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Ageenko F. L. Sobstvennye imena v russkom yazyke: Slovar' udarenii, Moscow, Izd-vo NTs ENAS, 2001, 376 p.

2. Aliferenko N. F. O prirode onomasticheskoi semantiki, Onomastika Povolzh'ya: Tez. 8 mezhdunar. konf., Volgograd, Izd-vo Gnozis, 2005, 326 p.

3. Demidkina E. A. Semanticheskii i pragmaticheskii potentsial antroponimov v nemetskoi lingvokul'ture, Inostrannye yazyki i sovremennye tendentsii v inoyazychnom obrazovanii. Materialy V Yubileinoi mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, Voronezh, 2021, pp. 32–37.

4. Omel'chuk K. I. Lichnye imena kak otrazhenie istorii Naroda?, Akademicheskaya publitsistika, 2020, no. 9, pp. 78–83.

5. Superanskaya A. V. Struktura imeni sobstvennogo, Moscow, Nauka, 1969, 207 p.

6. Tupikov N. M. Slovar' drevnerusskikh lichnykh sobstvennykh imen. M.: Kniga po Trebovaniyu, 2015, 863 p.

7. Chistyukhina E. A., Shchegolikhina Yu. V., Kulakovskaya K.V. Funktsionirovanie antroponimov rossiiskikh nemtsev v shvankakh, Filologicheskie nauki. Voprosy teorii i praktiki [Philology. Theory & Practice], 2016, no. 7-3 (61), pp. 166–169.

8. Shishkina I. P., Smolonogina E. A. Nemetskie lichnye imena kak ob"ekt leksikograficheskogo opisaniya, Studia Linguistica (Sankt-Peterburg), 2017, no. 26, p. 104–116.

9. Shcherba L. V. Izbrannye raboty po russkomu yazyku. Akad. nauk SSSR, Otd-nie lit. i yaz., Moscow, Uchpedgiz, 1957, 186 p.

10. Bach A. Deutsche Namenkund Die deutschen Personennamen. Bd. I, 1 und 2–2. Aufl. Heidelberg 1952–1953. Unveränderter Nachdruck: Heidelberg, 1978, 564 p.

11. Fleischer W. Die deutschen Personennamen. Geschichte, Bildung und Bedeutung 2. Aufl. Berlin, 1968, 543 p.

12. Gloning T. Bedeutung, Gebrauch und sprachliche Handlung. BRD, 1996, 401 p.

13. Kohlheim R. Lexikon der Vornamen. Herkunft, Bedeutung und Gebrauch von über 6000 Vornamen. Mannheim, 2004, 392 p.

For citation

Kisel O. V., Dubskikh A. I., Butova A.V. Semantic Analysis of German and Russian Personal Names, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2022, vol. 6, no 4, pp. 52–56.