Download PDF

DOI:10.18503/2658-3186-2022-6-4-46-51

Abstract. As a type of worldview, anthropomorphism is one of the most fundamental properties of human thinking in the field of categorization and conceptualization of the surrounding reality. The article demonstrates that anthropomorphism is a linguistic universal. In accordance with its princi-ples, the parameters of one's body, state of mind and emotions are correlated with the surrounding objects and phenomena. To the same extent, a person takes on the properties of those objects that surround him. Since historically the first cultural form in which a person's ability to anthropomor-phize was manifested was a myth, as a universal context for the interpretation of culture, anthropo-morphism is often unfairly attributed to primitive forms of the organization of consciousness. It can be interpreted as a real form of human exploration of the world around him, which makes closer and dearer what was distant and alien to him. Based on our research on anthropomorphic metaphorical way of thinking, the hypothesis that the human body largely reflects and determines the vital as-pects of our culturally, territorially and nationally conditioned experience has been verified. Based on the material of Russian and English languages, the article demonstrates that the structure and functioning of the human body predetermines the vital aspects of our thinking, verbalization and existence in general. It is shown that the description of the functioning of the human body is pro-jected onto the abstract and concrete objects and phenomena of the environment surrounding us. It is concluded that linguistic and conceptual processes cannot be considered and studied in isolation from the human embodiment.

Keywords: anthropomorphism, metaphor, semantics, figurativeness, naive and scientific pictures of the world.

Authors:

Svetlana A. Pesina, Doctor of Philology, Doctor of Philosophy, Professor, Professor, at the Linguistics and Translation Department, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Yuliana L. Vtorushina, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Linguistics and Translation, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Pesina S. A., Kiva-Khamzina Yu. L., Rubanova N. A. Formirovanie predstavleniya o vtorichnoi yazyko-voi i kontseptual'noi kartinakh mira u studentov-bakalavrov, izuchayushchikh inostrannyi yazyk // Perspektivy nauki i obrazovaniya. 2019. № 1 (37). S. 180-189. doi: 10.32744/ pse.2019.1.13.

2. Pesina S. A., Zimareva O. L. Klasternaya semantika i antropotsentricheskaya paradigma, Kognitivnye issledovaniya yazyka. Intergrativnye protsessy v kognitivnoi lingvistike, Nizhnii Novgorod, Izd-vo DEKOM, 2019, vol. XXXVII, pp. 95–100.

3. Pesina S. A., Yusupova L. G., Pulekha I. R. Antropomorfizm v yazyke skvoz' prizmu voploshcheniya, Vest-nik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, vol. 115. Filologicheskie nauki, 2019, no. 1 (423), pp. 106–123.

4. Tandon P., Pesina S. A., Pulekha I. R. Peculiarities of Understanding of Thematic Discourse of the English Lan-guage, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2019, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 79–84

5. Devidson D. What metaphors mean, The Philosophy of Language. NY, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1990, pp. 430–441.

6. Evans V., Green M. Cognitive Linguistics. An Introduction. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2006, pp. xxvi + 811.

7. Fodor J. A. A Theory of Content and Other Essays, Cambridge, MA, MIT Press, 1990, pp. 137–59.

8. Husserl E. Cartesian Meditations. Cairns, D.: Kluwer. 1960, 600 p.

9. Kant I. Notes and Fragments, Cambridge University Press, 2005, 690 pp.

10. Lakoff G., Johnson M. Philosophy in the flesh: The embodied mind and its challenge to Western thought, New York, Basic Books, 1999, 624 p.

11. Minds and machines. Minds and machines, edited by Alan Ross Anderson, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1964, pp. 72–97.

12. Solonchak T., Pesina S. Cognitive Properties of Images and Metaphors, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2015, vol. 192, no. 24, pp. 650–655.

For citation

Pesina S. A., Vtorushina Yu. L. Anthropomorphism in the Everyday Picture of the World, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2022, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 46-51.