Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2022-6-4-41-45

Abstract. The article reveals the main features of the “horror” genre in the works of contemporary Russian authors who write under the pseudonym Alexander Vargo. The literary project under analysis is a Russian modification of a mass literature widespread genre. The purpose of the article is to determine the originality of the reflection of the horror genre constants and their expansion in the A. Vargo prose. The study was based on the functional-typological method, focused on identifying the patterns of the literary process and genres formation and functioning. The relevance of the study is due to the need to realize the high popularity of horror literature among readers, to outline its place among the genres of popular literature and summarize its functions. The objectives of the article to overview the reasons for the growing popularity of horror in the mass literature, and to do a brief study on the origins and evolution of the “horror” genre and make a definition to the main genre features. The research of the analyzed texts traces both the reflection of traditional phobias and the phobias caused by the threats of a modern civilization. In the context of the horror genesis within the modern literary process, such specific features of the implementation of the genre in A. Vargo’s prose as didacticism and reliance on Slavic mythologies are highlighted. There were found, elements of science fiction, dystopia, Christmas prose and some genre divergence in A. Vargo works. The results obtained in the study can be used in the course of the further research on the “horror” genre and its interaction with other genres of popular literature, as well as in the educational practice in special courses and seminars on various aspects of popular literature.

Keywords: horror, horrible, genre, popular literature, A. Vargo.

Аuthor:

Alina G. Mendagalieva, Postgraduate of Astrakhan State University, Astrakhan, Russia This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Aksenova A. A. Uzhas kak «povtornoe vybrasyvanie v mir», Vestnik Kemerovskogo gos. un-ta. Seriya: Gumanitarnye i obshchestvennye nauki [Bulletin of Kemerovo State University. Series: Humanities and Social Sciences], 2017, no. 1, pp. 60–65.

2. Vse strakhi mira: Horror v literature i iskusstve: sbornik statei /pod red. S. A. Antonova, S. V. Denisenko (otv. red.) i dr., Saint-Petersburg, Tver, Izd-vo Mariny Batasovoi, 2015, 384 p.

3. Ionov A. Yu. Opredelenie zhanra khorror na osnove zhanrovoi teorii Rika Oltmena, Vestnik RGGU. Seriya: Filosofiya. Sotsiologiya. Iskusstvovedenie [RSUH/RGGU BULLETIN. “Philosophy. Sociology. Art Studies” Series Academic Journal], 2015, no. 2, pp. 107–114.

4. Karabanova V. A. Simvolika inkul'turatsii v amerikanskom khorror-kinematografe: avtoref. dis. … kand. kul'turologii, Krasnoyarsk, OOO Edmen, 2018, 24 p.

5. Poznin V. F. Zhanr «khorror» v sovremennom rossiiskom kino, Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo un-ta. Iskusstvovedenie [Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Arts], 2020, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 248–265.

6. Svendsen L. Filosofiya strakha, Moscow, Progress–Traditsiya, 2010, 288 p.

7. Sukhanova E. A. Problemy taksonomii i kharakternye cherty horror-diskursa, Vestnik Orenburgskogo gos. un-ta [Vestnik of the Orenburg State University], 2016, no. 1 (189), pp. 64–70.

8. Tikhomirov S. Khorror v kinematografe: obshchaya kharakteristika i tendentsii razvitiya zhanra, Kul'turogenez i kul'turnoe nasledie (kul'turologicheskie issledovaniya): sb. nauch. trudov / pod red. L. V. Nikiforovoi, A. V. Konevoi, V. E. Chervy, Saint-Petersburg, Asterion, 2009, pp. 174–196.

9. Freid Z. Vlecheniya i ikh sud'ba, Moscow, EKSMO-Press, 1999, 432 p.

10. Khapaeva D. R. Koshmar: literatura i zhizn', Moscow, Tekst, 2010, 368 p.

11. Khafizova N.A. Antiutopiya i uzhasnoe kak ten' kul'tury, Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Filosofia. Psihologia. Sociologia [Perm University Herald. Philosophy. Psychology. Sociology], 2017, no. 4, pp. 82–89.

For citation

Mendagalieva A. G. Implementation Features of the “Horror” Genre in A. Vargo’s Prose, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2022, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 41–45.