Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2022-6-2-43-48

Abstract. The article considers a stylistic device as one of the linguistic means of the expressive utterances’ creation. It is noted that traditionally under a stylistic device is understood a conscious and deliberate use of the various linguistic levels’ capabilities, their unusual and non-standard use in order to increase an utterance, to give it expressiveness, harmony, beauty, emotionality. Attention is paid that an epithet is one of the most common stylistic devices, an effective trope-figural means, consisting in the attributive use of a word or phrase based on the interaction of logical and emotional meanings, which serves to express the author’s attitude to the described realia. The article indicates the fact that occasionalisms as speech units can serve as the basis for the formation of a stylistic device of an epithet. The stylistic potential of an occasional epithet is revealed, which consists in giving a special colour to an extralinguistic communicative situation of a new nomination appearance, as well as to the speech context of its functioning. Any occasional epithet, characterizing one or another object of the surrounding reality, expresses the subjective assessment of the author of a statement. At the same time a certain impact is made on a reader / listener, as a result of which he begins to see and evaluate this object of the surrounding reality as the author of the statement wants. It is emphasized that occasional epithets due to their stylistic potential make new words and phrases more attractive. Occasional epithets are an impressive, expressive, evaluative characteristic of any realities. Such occasional stylistic devices certainly attract the attention of a reader / listener, are aesthetically effective and emotionally coloured. It is the presence in an occasional epithet of certain expressive, emotive and other connotations that allows us to express the author’s attitude to the subject described.

Keywords: stylistic device, occasionalism, stylistic occasionality, epithet, occasional epithet.

Author:

Natalia I. Korobkina, associate professor, candidate of philological sciences, Associate Professor of Linguistic department, Volgograd State Socio-Pedagogical University, Volgograd, Russia This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Vlasova Yu. N. Grammaticheskaya okkazional'nost' kak sostavlyayushchaya kreativnosti yazyka? Yazyk i deistvitel'nost'. Nauchnye chteniya na kafedre romanskikh yazykov im. V.G. Gaka: sbornik statei po itogam V mezhdunarodnoi konferentsii (Moskva, 25-27 marta 2020), Moscow, OOO «Izdatel'stvo «Sputnik+», 2020, pp. 83–88.

2. Gal'perin I. R. Stilistika angliiskogo yazyka, Moscow, Editorial URSS, 2018, 336 p.

3. Glukhikh E. S. Izuchenie okkazionalizmov v otechestvennoi lingvistike, Aktual'nye problemu kul'tury sovremennoi russkoi rechi: materialy XV Vserossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem (Armavir, 14 aprelya 2021), Armavir, Armavirskii gosudarstvennyi pedagogicheskii universitet, 2021, pp. 52–56.

4. Grishcheva E. S. Osobennosti tropeicheskoi leksicheskoi i graficheskoi okkazional'nosti v sovremennom russkom yazyke, Global Scientific Potential. Philology, 2012, no. 11 (20), pp. 64–66.

5. Dzhabrailova V. S., Zhilinskaite P. E. K voprosu o stilisticheskoi funktsii okkazionalizma, Mezhdistsiplinarnye praktiki v sovremennom sotsial'no-gumanitarnom znanii: materialy XXXVI Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii (Rostov-na-Donu, 17 sentyabrya 2021), Saint Petersburg, OOO «Izdatel'stvo VVM», 2021, pp. 60–63.

6. Korobkina N. I. Okkazional'naya antonomasiya v kommunikativnom prostranstve sovremenno-go russkogo yazyka, Izvestiya Volgogradskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta [Ivzestia of the Volgograd State PedagogicalUniversity], 2018, no. 4 (127), pp. 95–100.

7. Shakhovskii V. I. English stylistics (Stilistika angliiskogo yazyka), Moscow, Lenand, 2019, 232 p.

For citation

Korobkina N. I. Stylistic Occasionality of an Epithet as a Trope-Figural Means, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2022, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 43–48.