Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2022-6-2-19-28

Abstract. Effective communication in a foreign language implies ability of producing phonetically correct oral speech. Formation and improvement of phonetic competence as a component of foreign language communicative competence is a complicated task in the educational environment of a non-linguistic university. Newest works by Russian and foreign authors on the issues of teaching English pronunciation skills to students of non-linguistic higher educational institutions, including methods of phonetic competence development, are reviewed. Key challenges and issues which hinder the process of improving the development of phonetic competence are analyzed. The aim of the article is to describe conditions for non-linguistic students’ phonetic skills enhancement, and identify priority aspects of English language instruction for successful production and comprehension of English speech from students’ perspective. On the grounds of the survey of non-linguistic undergraduate students, the data revealing students’ attitude to the necessity of learning English and mastering their pronunciation skills, as well as their understanding of the perspectives of using the English language in their future professional activities in the context of globalization, have been obtained. On the basis of the survey data, the following conclusion was made: despite students’ awareness of the necessity of using English language for successful communication and significance of mastering their phonetic competence, knowledge of English vocabulary seems to be of primary importance for both, English speech production and perception. Perspectives for further research of the issue of development of phonetic competence in a non-linguistic university are outlined.

Keywords: non-linguistic university, English language teaching, phonetic competence, motivation, survey.

Author:

Elena N. Makarova, Doctor of Philology, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Business Foreign Language of the Ural State University of Economics, Yekaterinburg, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Vereninova Zh. B. Foneticheskaya baza angliiskogo yazyka v sopostavlenii s foneticheskoi bazoi russkogo yazyka [The phonetic base of the English language in comparison with the phonetic base of the Russian language]. 3rd edition, Moscow, Moscow State Linguistic University, 2012, 148 p.

2. Vishnevskaya E. M. Struktura i soderzhanie angloyazychnoi foneticheskoi kompetentsii studentov. Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Seriya: Gumanitarnye nauki [Tambov University Review. Series: Humanities], 2013, no. 2(118), pp. 37–42.

3. Galochkina I. E. Foneticheskii kurs angliiskogo yazyka [Phonetic English course]. Moscow: Moscow State Linguistic University, 2011, 104 p.

4. Zhurii T. V. Obuchenie proiznosheniyu v istorii otechestvennoi i zarubezhnoi metodiki prepodavaniya. Izvestiya RGPU im. A. I. Gertsena [Izvestia: Herzen University Journal of Humanities & Sciences], 2008, no. 73-2, pp. 54–59.

5. Ermolova T. V. Ispol'zovanie autentichnykh materialov pri obuchenii inostrannomu yazyku v neyazykovom vuze. Sovremennoe pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie [Modern pedagogical education], 2020, no. 6, pp. 51–56.

6. Kargina E. M. Analiz metodicheskikh podkhodov v razvitii foneticheskogo navyka studentov tekhnicheskikh vuzov na nachal'nom etape obucheniya. Filologicheskie nauki. Voprosy teorii i praktiki [Philology. Theory & Practice], 2019, vol. 12(2), pp. 255–258.

7. Karpova A. V. Foneticheskaya gramotnost' i rasprostranennye foneticheskie oshibki sovremennykh studentov neyazykovykh vuzov (na primere angliiskogo yazyka). Filologicheskii aspekt, 2020, no. 4(60), pp. 255–265.

8. Lavrova O. A. K probleme razrabotki vvodno-foneticheskogo kursa dlya studentov neyazykovykh napravlenii podgotovki. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta. Obrazovanie i pedagogicheskie nauki [Vestnik of Moscow State Linguistic University. Education and teaching], 2015, no. 4(715), pp. 72–79.

9. Matveeva N. V. Obuchenie fonetike angliiskogo yazyka v professional'nom obrazovanii. Otechestvennaya i zarubezhnaya pedagogika [National and Foreign Pedagogy], 2018. vol. 1, no. 1(46), pp. 124–135.

10. Mzhel'skaya O. K. Angliiskii yazyk kak lingva franka i spetsifika ego izucheniya. Nauka o cheloveke: gumanitarnye issledovaniya [The Science of Person: Humanitarian Researches], 2017, no. 2(28), pp. 58–61.

11. Monastyrskaya E. A., Mityakina O. V. Formirovanie kommunikativnoi kompetentsii pri obuchenii inostrannomu yazyku studentov neyazykovykh vuzov posredstvom internet-resursov. Mir nauki. Pedagogika i psikhologiya [World of Science. Pedagogy and Psychology], 2020, vol. 8, iss. 4. URL: https://mir-nauki.com/PDF/48PDMN420.pdf (date of access: 14.03.2022).

12. Petrusevich P. Yu. Gumanitarizatsiya protsessa formirovaniya foneticheskoi kompetentsii studentov neyazykovykh vuzov. Mir nauki, kul'tury, obrazovaniya [World of Science, Culture and Education], 2022, no. 1(92), pp. 187–191.

13. Pomerantseva N. G., Syrina T. A. Internet-platformy kak sposob intensifikatsii obucheniya inoyazychnoi monologicheskoi rechi. Filologicheskie nauki. Voprosy teorii i praktiki [Philology. Theory & Practice], 2016, no. 12-3(66), pp. 207–209.

14. Tymbai A. A. K voprosu o roli fonetiki v programme obucheniya inostrannomu yazyku v ramkakh vysshego professional'nogo obrazovaniya (iz opyta raboty v MGIMO MID Rossii). Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo oblastnogo universiteta. Seriya: Pedagogika [Bulletin of the MSRU. Series: Pedagogics], 2019, no. 2, pp. 144–156.

15. Ustinova N. P. Formirovanie i sovershenstvovanie foneticheskoi kompetentsii studentov tekhnicheskikh spetsial'nostei, European research, 2017, no. 3(26), pp. 32–36.

16. Khudinsha E. A. Nekotorye trudnosti pri obuchenii fonetike angliiskogo yazyka v neyazykovom vuze. Elektronnyi nauchno-metodicheskii zhurnal Omskogo GAU [Research and Scientific Electronic Journal of Omsk SAU], 2019, iss. 4(19). URL: https://e-journal.omgau.ru/images/issues/2019/4/00793.pdf (date of access: 05.03.2022).

17. Shalygina A. A. Spetsifika obucheniya inoyazychnomu audirovaniyu studentov estestvennonauchnogo profilya. Problemy i perspektivy razvitiya obrazovaniya v Rossii [Problems and prospects for the development of education in Russia], 2015, vol. 34, pp. 154–162.

18. Shamina E. A. Fonetika i grammatika – bliznetsy-brat'ya: obuchenie proiznosheniyu angliiskikh grammaticheskikh struktur. Obuchenie inostrannomu yazyku studentov vysshikh i srednikh obrazovatel'nykh uchrezhdenii na sovremennom etape): materialy konferentsii [Teaching a foreign language to students of higher and secondary educational institutions at the present stage: conference proceedings], Blagoveshchensk, Amur State University, 2018, pp. 129–135.

19. Shevchenko O. G. Ot metoda imitatsii k strategiyam samokontrolya i samootsenki v formirovanii intonatsionnykh navykov (obzor metodik obucheniya angliiskoi intonatsii). Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta [Tomsk State Pedagogical University Bulletin], 2017, no. 8(185), pp. 28–36.

20. Shevchenko T. I. Kognitivnaya integratsiya fonetiki i fonologii v svete problem obucheniya inostrannomu yazyku. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta. Gumanitarnye nauki [Vestnik of Moscow State Linguistic University. Education and teaching], 2016, no. 10(749), pp. 71–78.

21. Shevchenko T. I., Galochkina I. E. Navstrechu soglasiyu: foneticheskaya adaptatsiya sobesednikov v dialoge. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta. Gumanitarnye nauki [Vestnik of Moscow State Linguistic University. Education and teaching], 2016, no. 1(740), pp. 185–203.

22. Baker A., Ship or Sheep? An Intermediate Pronunciation Course, 2nd edition, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1981, 168 p.

23. Cauldwell R., Pronunciation and listening require separate models of speech. In J. Levis, S. McCrocklin (eds.), Proceedings of the 5th Pronunciation in Second Language Learning Teaching Conference. Ames: Iowa State University, 2014, pp. 40–44.

24. Taşer D., Current issues in pronunciation teaching. Towards Higher Education: Teaching for a Better World in the 21st Century: 2nd ELT conference proceedings, Istanbul, Boğaziçi University, 2019, pp. 1–12.

25. Haggag M. H., Teaching phonetics using a mobile-based application in an EFL context. European Scientific Journal, 2018, vol. 14(14), pp. 189.

26. Ibrahem T., Using sitcoms to improve EFL college students’ phonetic competence. e-Penang International Conference of Education and Social Science (e-PICESS) 2021, Penang, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2021, 168 p.

27. Jenkins J., English medium instruction in higher education: the role of ELF. In A. Gao, C. Davison, C. Leung (eds.), Second Handbook of English Language Teaching, Cham, Springer, 2018, pp. 1–18.

28. Kissova O., The role and goals in teaching English pronunciation. 6th SWS International Scientific Conference on Arts and Humanities ISCAH 2019, Vienna, SGEM, 2019, pp. 827–834.

For citation:

Makarova E. N. Development of Phonetic Skills of Non-linguistic University Students and Processes of Globalization, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2022, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 19–28.