Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2021-5-3-37-42

Abstract. The article researches the semantics modeling of phraseological units including the ‘condemn’ component in a frame of cognitive approach. The material for analysis was the data of intended sampling from monolingual, phraseological, etymological dictionaries. The views of Russian and foreign cognitive scientists dealing with special features of a cognitive metaphor as means for modeling the phraseolgical meaning served as a theoretical base of the research.  The aim of the article is to examine the essence of phraseological units as signs of secondary nomination / means of categorization and to define the features of modeling a semantic structure when nominating the ‘condemn’ process with a metaphor name. The scientific novelty is in revealing the specific processes of turning the verb combinations into phraseological units basing on analogy as a specific cognitive mechanism. The article offers the description to the most productive ways and methods of the metaphorical categorization basing on blending two images of concrete situations in person’s consciousness. There was suggested the interpretation of frequent cognitive models used to indicate the types of the ‘condemn’ with various negative evaluation within the stereotypical situations. The cognitive model is stated to open correlations between the phraseological units and free word combinations which motivate the meaning of a phraseological unit. So, the new nomination makes it possible to nominate one and the same fragment of reality or a single situation with alternative linguistic means. In this case, the process of phraseological nomination is the use of the special structures of knowledge about person's activity within the surrounding world and relations among people. The holistic nature of the research is reputed by the integrity of such methods as cognitive, system-structural, formal-logical, and an interpretation method. The practical value of research is in prospect to use the linguistic material in language learning as far as cognitive models, being the basis for semantics of phraseological units, possess the national specificity and qualify some conceptual scenarios which are meaningful to a native German speaker.

Keywords: cognitive semantic modeling, modeling, verb phraseological unities, conceptual meaning «condemn», metaphor.

Authors:

Ludmila I. Antropova, D.Sc. (Linguistics), Professor at the Department of Foreign Languages in Technical Fields, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tatyana Yu. Zalavina, Ph.D. in Philology, Associate Professor at the Department of Foreign Languages in Technical Fields, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Liliya S. Polyakova, Ph.D. in Philology, Associate Professor at the Department of Foreign Languages in Technical Fields, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Golovanova E. I. Obraz, ponyatie, geshtal't kak formaty professional'nogo znaniya, Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Chelyabinsk State University], 2014, no. 6 (335), pp. 122–125.

2. Gol'dberg V. B. Formaty fonovogo znaniya v obraznom sravnenii, Kognitivnye issledovaniya yazyka [Cognitive Studies of Language], 2011, no. 9, pp. 175–183.

3. Guseva O. A. Kognitivnye osnovy predstavleniya semanticheskogo komponenta «rasstoyanie» v leksiche-skom znachenii angliiskikh sushchestvitel'nykh i prilagatel'nykh : dis. … kand. filol. nauk, Moscow, 2007.

4. Lakoff Dzh., Dzhonson M. Metafory, kotorymi my zhivem,Teoriya metafory, Moscow, Progress, 1990, pp. 387–415.

5. Kubryakova E. S. Yazyk i znanie, Moscow, Yaz. slavyan. kul'tury, 2004, 555 p.

6. Polyakova L. S. Ponyatie "rechevoe povedenie" teoreticheskie aspekty, Aktual'nye problemy filologii i pedagogicheskoi lingvistiki [Current Issues in Philology and Pedagogical Linguistics], 2012, no. 14, pp. 44–47.

7. Popova Z. D. Kognitivnaya lingvistika, Moscow, AST: Vostok-Zapad, 2010, 314 p.

8. Polyakova L. S., Suvorova E. V. Teoriya yazyka : ucheb. posobie, Magnitogorsk, Magnitogor. gos. tekhn. un-t im. G.I. Nosova, 2015, 54 p.

9. Suvorova E. V. Organizatsiya rechevoi sposobnosti, osnovnye mekhanizmy rechevoi deyatel'nosti, svyaz' yazyka i myshleniya, Aktual'nye problemy sovremennoi nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya, 2011, vol. 2, no. 69, pp. 106–108.

10. Chenki A. Semantika v kognitivnoi lingvistike, Sovremennaya amerikanskaya lingvistika: funda-mental'nye napravleniya, Moscow, Librokom, 2010, pp. 340–370.

11. Antropova L. I., Polyakova L. S., Zalavina T. Yu., Yuzhakova Yu. V. Sociocultural conditions of language variation in national languages, Mir Nauki, Kultury, Obrazovaniya [The world of science, culture and education], 2018, no. 6 (73), pp. 455–456.

12. Boldyrev N. N. O tipologii znanij i ih reprezentacii v yazyke, Tipy znanij i ih reprezentaciya v yazyke: sb. nauch. tr. / Izdatel'skij dom TGU im. G. R. Derzhavin, Tambov, 2007, pp. 12–28.

13. Langacker R. Foundations of Cognitive Grammar, vol. 1, Theoretical Prerequisites. Stanford, Stanford Uni-versity Press, 1987, 516 p.

14. Rosch E. Cognitive reference points, Cognitive Psychology, 1975, no. 7, pp. 532–547.

For citation

Antropova L. I., Zalavina T. Yu., Polyakova L. S. Cognitive Semantic Modeling of Phraseological Units, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2021, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 37–42.