Download PDF

DOI:

Annotation: The article analyzes the features characteristic for the typification of the mask as an artistic device in the ancient comedy period. The relevance is determined by the increasing attention of the modern philology to the comedy genre, as a way to identify certain patterns of typification in the course of comedy development during the Attic period. The aim of the research is to consider the peculiarities of typifying the characters of the artistic space created within the dramaturgical works of Aristophanes and Menander. The choice of ancient authors is explained by insufficient study in the field of the mask use as not only a theatrical decoration or a scenic symbol but also as metaphorical device created by the author. The following methods were used typological, historical-genetic and functional, which allow studying the function of a certain artistic means. The novelty of the study lies in the consideration of comedic types in the context of various categories masks use as a non-artistic and at the same time literary means of creating comedic images. In addition, the possibility of revealing the idea and understanding of the artistic reception of the mask is considered by transmitting through external means not only information on the example of the age and social status of the character, but also explaining the character insight through actions and behavior. The result showed that the development and transformation of the mask begins with understanding the significance of the mask for Antiquity culture in general and for the formation of the ancient theater in particular.

Keywords: comedy, artistic technique, mask, image typification, Menander, Aristophanes.

Authors:

Yekaterina A. Lomakina, Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor  Foreign Languages for Engineering Chair, Institute of Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Elena A. Pikalova, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor  Foreign Languages for Engineering Chair, Institute of Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Anikst. A. A. Teoriya dramy ot Aristotelya do Lessinga, Moscow, Nauka, 1967, 458 p.

2. Bakhtin M. M. 1961 Zametki, Sobranie sochinenii, v 5 tt., t. 5, Moscow, Russkie slovari, 1975, 352 p.

3. Brabich V., Pletneva G. Zrelishcha drevnego mira, Leningrad, Iskusstvo, 1971, 270 p.

4. Varneke B. V. Istoriya antichnogo teatra, Moscow, Iskusstvo, 1940, 310 p.

5. Vygotskii L. S. Psikhologiya iskusstva, Moscow, Vysshaya shkola, 1986, 486 p.

6. Gasparov M. L. Komediya antichnaya, Literaturnaya entsiklopediya terminov i ponyatii, Moscow, NPK In-telvak, 2003, 983 p.

7. Lomakina E. A. Khudozhestvennaya maska Restavratsii kak proyavlenie personifitsirovannoi dvoistven-nosti morali, Libri Magistri, vol. 4, 2017, pp. 17–23.

8. Losev A. F. Antichnaya literatura: uchebnik dlya vysshei shkoly / pod red. prof. A. A. Takho-Godi, Izd. 6-e, ispr., Moscow, CheRo; Minsk, Asar, 2001, 541 p

9. Lotman Yu. M. Kukly v sisteme kul'tury, Lotman Yu. M. Izbrannye stat'I, v 3 tt., t. 3, Tallinn, Aleksandra, 1993, 458 p.

10. Piotrovskii A. Aristofan. Teatr, Moscow-Leningrad, Iskusstvo, 1927, 238p.

11. Rakov Yu. A. Sokrovishcha antichnoi i bibleiskoi mudrosti: proiskhozhdenie aforizmov i obraznykh vyrazhenii, Saint-Petersburg, Paritet, 2007, 350 p.

12. Sobolevskii A. I. Aristofan i ego vremya, Moscow, Labirint, 2001, 235 p.

13. Trubochkin D. V. Drevnegrecheskii teatr, Moscow, Pamyatniki istorii mysli, 2016, 446 p.

14. Fadeeva N. I. Tragikomediya. Teoriya zhanra: dis. … d-ra filol. nauk, Moscow, MGU, 1996, 302 p.

15. Shklovskii V. B. Tetiva. O skhodstve neskhodnogo, Moscow, Nauka, 1970, 377 p.

16. Shtein A. L. Veseloe iskusstvo komedii, Moscow, Khudozhestvennaya literatura, 1990, 356 p.

17. Yarkho V. N. Sotsial'naya utopiya v komediyakh Aristofana, Moscow, Labirint, 1986, 267 p.

18. Duckworth George E. The nature of Roman Comedy, Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1952, 486 p.

19. Ehrenberg V. The People of Aristophanes: A Sociology of Old Attic Comedy, New York, Routldge, 2015, 422 p.

20. Hughes Alan Performing a Greeck Comedy, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2011, 311 p.

21. Henderson Jeffrey Attic Comedy, Oxford, Oxford Handbooks, 2018, 374p.

For citation

Lomakina Ye. A., Pikalova E. A. Mask Types in Attic Comediography: Aristophanes & Menander, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2021, vol. 5, no 2, pp. 50–55.