Download PDF

DOI:

Abstract. The article examines one of the aspects of the multifaceted interaction of religion and culture, namely the perception and rethinking on the image of Judas Iscariot by Russian writers of the 20th century L. Andreev and M. Bulgakov. The author analyzed the influence of the writers’ culture peculiarities on the interpretation of the biblical images. The theme of Judas has become especially in demand in recent years: after the discovery of an ancient Coptic manuscript, the Gnostic apocrypha "The Gospel of Judas" (modern translation of 2006), in which Judas appears not as a villain, but as a hero who fulfilled the secret command of Christ to organize His crucifixion and thus, to bring closer the salvation of human race. This version resonates with the experience of both L. Andreev and M. Bulgakov. The images of Jesus, Jude and Pilate were created by the authors as a result of the transformation of the Gospel narrative plot, and with a pronounced national flavour. L. Andreev’s Jesus is close to M. Bulgakov’sYeshua by his manifestations of the human principle, as well as by the presence of certain “primordially Russian features” (sentimentality, insecurity, reliance on “good people”). Both writers consider biblical images not in a religious-mystical, but in a psychological system of coordinates, as a result of which the emphasis changes: in the sacred text of the Gospel, the image of Judas symbolizes evil, while in the literary text there appears a psychological motivation for his act, revealing the linguo-cultural potential of biblicalism and its ability to attest to the changes taking place in modern culture: the rejection of traditional Christian values in favour of the person’s values who rejects the spiritual for the sake of the material, “a restless person” and, finally, “a dying person”.

Keywords: Russian literature of the 20th century, the interaction of religion and culture, the transformation of biblical images, L. Andreev, M. Bulgakov.

Аuthor:

Anna V. Podgorskaya, Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor of the Department of Russian Language, General Linguistics and Mass Communication, Institute of Humanitarian Education, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia;  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Alfeev P. I. Iuda-predatel'. Ryazan, Tipografiya Bratstva sv. Vasiliya, 1915, 145 p.

2. Afanas'ev E.S. Povest' L.N. Andreeva «Iuda Iskariot»: «psikhologiya predatel'stva», Literatura v shkole [Literature at school], 2016, no. 2, pp. 11–15.

3. Bodriiyar Zh. Simvolicheskii obmen i smert', Moscow, Dobrosvet, 2000, 389 p.

4. Galinskaya I. L. Nasledie Mikhaila Bulgakova v sovremennykh tolkovaniyakh Sb.nauch.tr. / RAN INION. Tsentr gumanit. nauch. inform. issled. Otd. kul'turologii; otv. red. L.V. Skvortsov, Moscow, 2003, 132 p.

5. Gor'kii M. Leonid Andreev, Gor'kii M. Literaturnye portrety, Moscow, Goslitizdat., 1959, 592 p.

6. Zapadova L. A. Istochniki teksta i «tainy» rasskaza-povesti Iuda Iskariot, Russkaya Literature, 1997, no. 3, pp. 93-101.

7. Zelentsova S. V., Mikheicheva E. A. Transformatsiya obraza Iudy: opyt L.N. Andreeva i Amosa Oza, Uchenye zapiski Orlovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2018, no. 1 (78), pp. 126–133.

8. Kryuchkov V. Obraz Iisusa v povesti L. N. Andreeva «Iuda Iskariot», ili Smeyalsya li Khristos? URL:https://lit.1sept.ru/article.php?ID=200301502 (data obrashcheniya: 23.02.2021).

9. Makeeva S. G. Khudozhestvennaya antropologiya obraza Iudy Iskariota v literature KhKh veka, Filosofiya i kul'tura [Philosophy and Culture], 2012, no. 6 (54), pp. 70-81.

10. Sokolov B. Bulgakov. Misticheskii Master, Moscow, Veche, 2014, 256 p.

11. Utekhin N. P. «Master i Margarita» M. Bulgakova: Ob istochnikakh deistvitel'nykh i mnimykh, Russkaya Literatura, 1979, № 4, pp. 97–102.

12. Fuko M. O transgressii, Tanatografiya Erosa: Zhorzh Batai i frantsuzskaya mysl' serediny KhKh veka, Saint-Peterburg, Mifril, 1994, 346 p.

For citation

Podgorskaya A. V. Artistic "Reconstruction" of Biblical Images in the XX Century Literature (L. Andreev’s "Judas IskarioT" and M. Bulgakov’s "Master and Margarita"), Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2021, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 46–49.