Download PDF

DOI:

Abstract. Modern information search has undergone many changes. Currently, access to all reference sources is implemented via Internet and mobile phones. English, being the language of international communication, dominates the Internet, and it can be called an Internet language. However, the spelling of the English language presents certain difficulties for Internet users, which complicates not only the search for the necessary information, but also the usual interpersonal communication via the network. This paper is devoted to the principles and problems of English spelling in the modern digital age. Total digitalization makes the above topic relevant, since an Internet request in English allows you to get the maximum amount of information on the network, and the "correct" English spelling opens access to almost all English-language reference resources. The article discusses the basic principles of English spelling.The historical principle, the fundamental principle of English spelling, is analyzed. The article describes the historical reasons that led to the formation of such a "complicated" spelling. The arguments "for" and "against" the reform of the English language spelling are considered. The paper lists the changes that a language undergoes when placed in a new communication environment. The authors believe that we are witnessing the formation of a new type of global English, the language of virtual space, the complex spelling of which is not only intertwined with the history of the English language, absorbs other semiotic systems, but also has an important pragmatic value in the process of modern information search.

Keywords: English, spelling, borrowing, historical spelling principle, phonetic spelling principle, morphological spelling principle, internet language.

Authors:

Natalya N. Zerkina, Associate Professor, Candidate of Philology, Head of  Foreign Languages for Engineering Chair, Institute of Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Yulia V. Yuzhakova, Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor  Foreign Languages forEngineering Chair, Institute of Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Arakin V. D. Ocherki po istorii angliiskogo yazyka / pod red. M. D. Rezvetsovoi. Moscow, Fizmatlit, 2007, 288 p.

2. Akhrenova N. A. Internet-diskurs kak global'noe mezhkul'turnoe yavlenie i ego yazykovoe oformlenie: avtoref. dis. … d-ra filol. nauk, Moscow, Moskovskii gosudarstvennyi oblastnoi universitet, 2009, 36 p.

3. Baryshnikova E. B., Golodova O. A. Osobennosti angliiskoi orfografii, Problemy prepodavaniya professional'no-orientirovannogo inostrannogo yazyka v vuze: materialy Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf., Ryazan, OOO «Izd-vo "Kontseptsiya"», 2017, pp. 89–91.

4. Blinov R. Yu. Grafiko-orfograficheskaya variantnost' i ee registratsiya v slovaryakh (na materiale an-gloyazychnykh slovarei) avtoreferat dis. ... kand. filol. nauk. Saint-Petersburg, S.-Peterb. gos. un-t., 2011, 27 p.

5. Derina N. V., Savinova T. A., Zalavina T. Yu., Zerkina N. N., Kisel' O. V., Bosik G. A., Polyakova L. S., Yuzhakova Yu. V., Suvorova E. V., Savinova Yu. A. Polidiskursivnoe prostranstvo: slovo, tekst, kommunikatsiya: monografiya [Elektronnoe izdanie], Magnitogorsk, MGTU im. G. I. Nosova, 2017. 1 elektron. opt. disk (CD-ROM) : il.; 12 sm.; ISBN 978-5-9967-1107-9 (date of access: 08.02.2021).

6. Zakharova A. A., Shchukina I. V. Printsipy orfografii, Sovremennye podkhody v prepodavanii ino-strannykh yazykov v svete FGOS: materialy Vseros. ochno-zaochnoi nauch.-prakt. konf. Tula, Tul'skii gosudarstvennyi pedagogicheskii universitet im. L. N. Tolstogo, 2017, pp. 162–164.

7. Zerkina N. N. Iz istorii orfografii angliiskogo yazyka, Inostrannye yazyki: lingvisticheskie i metodologicheskie aspekty, vol. 39, 2017, pp. 123–126.

8. Zerkina N. N. Lingvisticheskie i eticheskie transformatsii kommunikatsii v internet prostranstve, Polidiskursivnoe prostranstvo: slovo, tekst, kommunikatsiya : monografiya [Elektronnoe izdanie], Magnitogorsk, MGTU im.G.I. Nosova, 2017, pp. 36–50. 1 elektron. opt. disk (CD-ROM) : il.; 12 sm.; ISBN 978-5-9967-1107-9 (date of access: 08.02.2021).

9. Komarova L. N. Trudnosti angliiskoi orfografii, Evraziiskii Soyuz Uchenykh [Eurasian Union of Scientists], 2015, no. 9-3 (18). URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/trudnosti-angliyskoy-orfografii (date of access: 08.02.2021).

10. Nelyubina E. A., Amitrova M. V., Gusarova Yu. V. Yazykovye osobennosti internet-diskursa, Baltiiskii gumanitarnyi zhurnal [Baltic humanitarian journal], 2014, no. 4 (9), pp. 21–23.

11. Stolyarchuk O. V. Errativy kak odna iz tendentsii v molodezhnom internet-slenge russkogo i anglii-skogo yazykov, Vestnik Pyatigorskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta [Pyatigorsk State University Bulletin], 2013, no. 4, pp. 143–149.

12. Yuzhakova Yu. V., Antropova L. I., Zalavina T. Yu., Polyakova L. S. Lingvisticheskie osobennosti an-gloyazychnogo elektronnogo diskursa, Kazanskaya nauka [Kazan Science], 2020, no. 12, pp. 214–216.

13. Lynch J. The Lexicographer’s Dilemma, New York, Walker &Company, 2009, 327 p.

14. McLeod Waldman N. Spelling Dearest. The Down and Dirty Nitty-Gritty History of English Spelling, 2004, 168 p. [Elektronnyi resurs]. URL: http://www.spellingdearest.com/ (date of access: 08.02.2021). 

For citation

Zerkina N. N., Yuzhakova Yu. V. Historical and Pragmatic Aspects in English Spelling, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2021, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 39–45.