Download PDF

Abstract. The main purpose of this research is to study the internal organization of the polysemous word semantics on the subject of how the semantic space is organized and in what form the meanings are stored in the mental lexicon. Despite the large number of studies in this area, scientists have not come to a conclusion, whether people operate with the lists of meanings or whether the core meaning lies at the heart of a polysemous word semantic structure. The unsolved problem of polysemy determines the relevance of research in this area. The paper presents the results of a psycholinguistic experiment, when people under testing without any preparation gave interpretations of polysemous Russian words, not determined by any context. The results of the study showed that a native speaker does not need to store the detailed definitions for operating and storing the polysemantic meanings. The latter are stored either in the form of common collocations, or as a set of semantic components. It shows that the order of storage of meanings in mental lexicon does not correspond to the order given in explanatory dictionaries, since this factor is influenced by the frequency and a number of extralinguistic factors (interest, environment, etc.). Often a native speaker puts forward a meaning that is relevant to life at a given moment of time. The results of the study confirm the basic principles of the theory on the meaning that we are developing, which states - meaning is a fluid, unsteady construction that is being formed at the moment of speech and adapted to a specific language situation.

Keywords: semantic structure of a word, experimental research, meaning, mental lexicon, semantic network, interpretation.

Аuthors:

Svetlana A.  Pesina - Doctor of Philology, Doctor of Philosophy, Professor, Professor, at the Linguistics and Translation Department, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Olga L. Zimareva - Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor at the  Linguistics and Translation Department, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tatyana Yu.  Baklykova - Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor at the  Linguistics and Translation Department,  Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Belousov K. I., Erofeeva E. V., Leshchenko Yu. E. Polevoi printsip organizatsii mental'nogo leksikona i stsenarii aktivatsii polei, Voprosy psikholingvistiki [Journal of Psycholinguistics], 2018, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 39–53

2. Vezhbitskaya A. Yazyk. Kul'tura. Poznanie, Moscow, Pucskie slovari, 1996, 416 p.

3. Zimareva O. L. Issledovanie mnogoznachnogo slova v svete invariantnoi teorii i antropotsentriche-skogo podkhoda (na primere leksiko-semanticheskoi gruppy «Rastenie»): dis. … kand. filol. nauk, Ufa, 2017, URL: http://www.bashedu.ru/dissovets?d=11.

4. Kubryakova E. S. V poiskakh sushchnosti yazyka: kognitivnye issledovaniya, Moscow, Znak, 2012, 208 p.

5. Pesina S. A., Latushkina O. L. Leksicheskii invariant kak soderzhatel'noe yadro polisemanta, Voprosy kognitivnoi lingvistiki [Issues of Cognitive Linguistics], Tambov, Izd-vo TGU, 2014, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 105–108.

6. Pesina S. A., Latushkina O. L. Leksicheskii invariant kak sposob organizatsii slovarnoi stat'I,  Problemy istorii, filologii, kul'tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies], 2014, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 308–310.

7. Pesina S. A., Latushkina O. L. Empiricheskii analiz metafory s pozitsii teorii leksicheskoi invari-antnosti, Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2016, vol. 386, no. 4, pp. 151–156.

8. Pesina S. A., Zimareva O. L. Semanticheskii analiz i reprezentatsiya znachenii v strukture mnogoznach-nykh slov, Voprosy kognitivnoi lingvistiki [Issues of Cognitive Linguistics], 2017, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 146–154.

9. Pesina S. A., Zimareva O. L., Vtorushina Yu. L. Ispol'zovanie klasternogo podkhoda k opisaniyu se-mantiki slova dlya formirovaniya leksicheskoi kompetentsii studentov bakalavrov lingvisticheskogo naprav-leniya, Perspektivy nauki i obrazovaniya [Perspectives of Science and Education], 2019, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 445–454. doi: 10.32744/pse.2019.1.33

10. Falcum I. L., Vicente A. Polysemy: Current perspectives and ap-proaches, Lingua 157, 2015, DOI: 10.1016/j.lingua.2015.02.002.

11. Foraker S., Murphy G. L. Polysemy in sentence comprehension: ef-fects of meaning dominance. J. Memory Lang, 2012, vol.  4, no. 67, pp. 407–425.

12. Frisson S. Semantic Underspecification in Language Processing.  Language and Linguistics Compass. 2009. vol.  1, no.  3. URL: http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-818X.2008.00104.x

13. Klein D. E., Murphy G. L. The representation of polysemous words. J. Memory Lang, 2001, vol. 2, no. 45, pp. 259–282.

14. Pustejovsky J. The Generative Lexicon. Language, 2002, vol. 4, no. 17. DOI: 10/2307/415891

For citation

Pesina S. A., Zimareva O. L., Baklykova T. Yu. Experimental Study of Semantic Structure of the World in the Light of Anthropocentric Approach, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2019, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 34–38.