Download PDF

Abstract

Audiovisual translation, as a specific type of translation activity, cannot be referred to either written or oral translation, since it lies between these two types of translation. It requires the translator to be knowledgeable in various areas of linguistics and related sciences, i.e. have a wide range of relevant competencies. The article gives an outline of the necessary professional skills of the translator of audiovisual texts – linguistic skills (good knowledge of phonetics, grammar and stylistics of the source language), script writing skills (the ability to see the main plot lines in the scenario), knowledge of cinema history, its genres, significant cinematographic works, etc., as well as necessary cultural and social knowledge. In this connection, there arises the problem of cultural adaptation of a certain media product to the realities of the country in which it is broadcast. The article outlines the problems of audiovisual texts translation. The article conveys the idea that these issues have not yet been the subject of any large-scale special studies in Russian linguistics. The article provides a definition of audiovisual translation, discusses its basic terms and determines the specifics of the audiovisual texts as a whole and the animated text, in particular. The linguistic and extra linguistic factors of cultural adaptation are given a special attention to. The purpose of the article is also to identify the specificity of audiovisual texts, to determine and justify the techniques and methods of cultural adaptation of such texts, to analyze the concept cultural adaptation.

Keywords: audiovisual text, animated cartoon, film translation, media product, cultural adaptation

Authors:

Pretee Tandon - professor, PhD, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Jabalpur, India; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Pesina Svetlana Andreyevna - Doctor of Philology, Doctor of Philosophy, Professor, at the English Language Department Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk Russia ;This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Pulekha Irina Rudolfovna – Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor at the English Language Department of Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Druzhinin A. S., Pesina S. A. Figura nablyudatelya kak klyuchevoi faktor semanticheskoi interpreta-tsii vremen v obuchenii grammatike angliiskogo yazyka, Filologicheskie nauki. Voprosy teorii i praktiki, 2017, no. 11, pp. 194–197.

2. Ignatovich M. V. Kul'turnaya adaptatsiya intertekstual'nykh vklyuchenii pri perevode proizvedenii angliiskoi literatury XX veka: na materiale romanov T. Pratchetta i ikh perevodov na russkii yazyk : diss. ... kand. filologicheskikh nauk, Moscow, 2011, 168 p.

3. Komissarov V. N. Sovremennoe perevodovedenie, Moscow, R. Valent, 2011, 410 p.

4. Nikonov V. M. Sotsio- i lingvokul'turologicheskie problemy adaptatsii konnotativnykh edinits yazy-ka v tekste, Problemy kul'turnoi adaptatsii teksta: tezisy dokladov mezhdunar. nauch. konf. /pod red. N. A. Fenenko,. Voronezh, Russkaya slovesnost', 1999, pp. 78–80.

5. Pesina S. A. Yazyk kak ob"ekt issledovaniya v fenomenologii, Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstven-nogo universiteta. Seriya Filosofiya, 2013, № 2 (10), pp. 98–108.

6. Pesina S. A. Metodika opredeleniya soderzhatel'nogo yadra mnogoznachnogo sushchestvitel'nogo sovre-mennogo angliiskogo yazyka, Izvestiya RGPU im. A. I. Gertsena: Obshchestvennye i gumanitarnye nauki, Nauchnyi zhurnal, 2005, no.  5 (11).], pp. 51–59.

7. Pesina S. A. Fenomenologicheskaya reduktsiya i soderzhatel'noe yadro znacheniya, Vestnik Voronezhskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya Filosofiya, 2010, no. 2 (4), pp. 151–160.

8. Pesina S. A. Razgranichenie yazyka i rechi v svete prototipicheskoi semantiki, Vestnik TGU. Tomsk, 2006, no. 291, pp. 177–182.

9. Pesina S. A. Leksicheskii prototip kak soderzhatel'noe yadro mnogoznachnogo slova (na materiale ang-liiskikh sushchestvitel'nykh leksiko-semanticheskoi gruppy «Telo cheloveka»): ucheb. posobie, Magnitogorsk, MGTU, 2003, 124 p.

10. Pesina S. A. Ot invarianta mnogoznachnogo slova k leksicheskomu prototipu // Voprosy kognitivnoi lingvistiki: materialy mezhdunar. konf. Tambov, Izd-vo TGU, 2006. no. 2. pp. 53–61.

11. Timko N. V. Kul'turnyi komponent lingvoetnicheskogo bar'era // Uchenye zapiski, seriya «Lingvis-tika. Mezhkul'turnaya kommunikatsiya. Perevod» Kursk, 1999, vol. 2, pp. 37–48.

12. Khomskii N. Aspekty teorii sintaksisa / per. s angl. pod red. i s predisloviem V. A.Zvegintseva. Moscow, Izd-vo Mosk. un-ta, 1972, 129 p.

13. Cintas Jorge Díaz, Remael Aline. Audiovisual Translation: Subtitling (Translation Practices Explained) London: Routledge, 2007, 284 p.

14. Novikov D.N., Pesina, S.A. Biosemiotics and Prototype Semantics in Understanding Lexical Polysemy: Implications for Applied Linguistics // The magic of innovation. New techniques and technologies in teaching foreign languages/Edited by Dmitry A. Kryachkov, Elena B. Yastrebova, Olga A. Kravtsova. Newcastle upon Tyne, 2015, pp. 275–294.

For citation 

Tandon P., Pesina S. A., Pulekha I. R. Peculiarities of Understanding of Thematic Discourse of the English Language, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2019, vol. 3, no 1, pp. 79–84.