Download PDF

Abstract

The purpose of the article is to study the functional peculiarities of such lexical units, to present their classification and to understand the reasons that lead to their widespread use in various types of discourses. The classification of these lexical units is based on their functional features. The possible list of their functions includes the following features: they act as a link between the old and the new information; they serve as a reference to an open list of elements that is difficult to enumerate to the end; they can act as markers of general uncertainty, when the subject of the conversation does not require precise wording; they are used when the speakers try to avoid direct answers to questions or hide their point of view; when the language misses the required word or the speaker does not know it; when the speakers save time, and cognitive efforts; when speakers focus on important information, disregarding details; when the speaker uses hedging techniques and some others. Our study proved that markers of the category of uncertainty are not considered as redundant, and are viewed as qualifying elements that structure the content of the statement. The results of the study, as well as the presented illustrative material, are considered as evidence of increasing frequency of use of language units of uncertainty in the communication process in order to achieve the necessary pragmatic effect.

Keywords: phrases, category of uncertainty, cognitive linguistics, hedging, semantics, the English language

Author:

Pesina Svetlana Andreyevna - Doctor of Philology, Doctor of Philosophy, Professor, at the English Language Department Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), , Magnitogorsk Russia ;This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Pulekha Irina Rudolfovna – Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor at the English Language Department of Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Pretee Tandon - professor, PhD, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Jabalpur, India; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Adamovich S. V. Semanticheskaya kategoriya approksimatsii i sistema sredstv ee vyrazheniya, Grodno, GrGU, 2011, 183 p.

2. Druzhinin A. S., Pesina S. A. Figura nablyudatelya kak klyuchevoi faktor semanticheskoi interpreta-tsii vremen v obuchenii grammatike anglii-skogo yazyka, Filologicheskie nauki. Voprosy teorii i praktiki, 2017, no. 11, pp. 194–197.

3. Karasik V. I. Interpretativnye modusy obshcheniya, Uchenye zapiski Tavricheskogo nats. un-ta im. V. I. Vernadskogo. Ser.: Filologiya. Sotsial'nye kommunikatsii, 2011, vol. 24 (63), no. 1, ch. 1. pp. 255–262.

4. Martynova I. A. Leksicheskie markery neopredelennostiv razgovornom angloyazychnom diskurse, Vestnik VGU. Seriya: lingvistika i mezhkul'turnaya kommunikatsiya, 2016, no. 2, pp. 30–34.

5. Nazarova O. L., Pesina S. A. Sotsial'nyi kharakter yazyka kak sovokupnost' kollektivnykh tipiziro-vannykh znakovykh situatsii, Voprosy kognitivnoi lingvistiki, 2016, no. 3, pp.134–140.

6. Pesina S. A., Zimareva O. L. Semanticheskii analiz i reprezentatsiya znachenii v strukture mnogoznach-nykh slov, Voprosy kognitivnoi lingvistiki, 2017, no. 1 (50), pp. 146–154.

7. Pesina S. A. Invariantnost' v kognitivnoi lingvistike i filosofii yazyka: uchebnoe posobie, Moscow, FLINTA, Nauka, 2014, 155 p.

8. Pesina S. A. Funktsionirovanie polisemantov v mekhanizmakh recheproizvodstva, Frazeologicheskie chteniya pamyati professora V. A. Lebedinskoi, vol. 4, Kurgan, Izd-vo Kurganskogo gos. un-ta, 2008, pp. 113–115.

9. Pulekha I. R. Prilozhenie v sovremennom angliiskom yazyke : monografiya, Magnitogorsk, Izd-vo Mag-nitogorsk. gos. tekh. un-ta im. G.I. Nosova, 2017, 127 p.

10. Fraser B.Pragmatic Competence : The Case of Hedging, New Ap-proaches to Hedging / ed. By Gunther Kaltenbock [et al.]. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2010, pp. 36–48.

11. Lakoff G. Hedges: A study in meaning criteria and the logic of fuzzy concepts, CLS, vol. 8, 1972, pp. 183–228.

12. Novikov D.N., Pesina, S.A. Biosemiotics and Prototype Semantics in Understanding Lexical Polysemy: Implications for Applied Linguistics // The magic of innovation. New techniques and technologies in teaching foreign languages / Edited by Dmitry A. Kryachkov, Elena B. Yastrebova, Olga A. Kravtsova. Newcastle upon Tyne, 2015. pp. 275–294.

For citation

Pesina S. A., Pulekha I. R., Tandon P. Functional Peculiar properties of Lexical Markers in the english Language, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2019, vol. 3, no 1, pp. 66–70.