Download PDF

Abstract

The relevance of investigating the course of teaching and studying for history degrees in Magnitogorsk in the 1930–2000s has encouraged the authors to study the documents concerning undergraduate history courses in two higher educational establishments in Magnitogorsk that were founded during the  first ‘five-year plan’ (in the Soviet Union) – Magnitogorsk State Pedagogical Institute and Magnitogorsk State Mining and Metallurgical Institute (Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University). The pedagogical institute trained teachers, and the mining and metallurgical institute trained engineers. The study shows that the training of History teachers took place in the difficult conditions of the reorganization of the 1930s, and resulted in the abolishment of the faculty of History in the early 1950s. However, later, overcoming difficulties, the Faculty of History was formed again and its graduates have been employed not only in schools, but also in universities, management systems and other fields. The lack of candidates and doctors of History was compensated by a creative approach to work, self-education, a desire to share knowledge with students. The second birth of the Faculty of History in the 1990s allowed to provide educational institutions with History teachers. Magnitogorsk State Mining and Metallurgy Institute had its own specifics. Students got History education in classes of Marxism-Leninism doctrine. Future engineers were to study the basics of Marxism-Leninism and communism. The educational process was under constant control of the communist party organs. In the 1960–1980s there were more candidates of History in the staff actively engaged in research work. Currently the Department of General History of NMSTU, with highly qualified personnel successfully solves the problem of teaching  undergraduate and graduate students History and doing research work.

Keywords: Magnitogorsk State Pedagogical Institute, Magnitogorsk Mining and Metallurgical Institute, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, history studies, studying for history degrees, teachers, students, graduates.

Аuthors:

Marina N. Potemkina ‑ Professor, Doctor of History, Professor and the Chair of the Department of World History, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Vladimir V. Filatov, Doctor of History, Associate Professor, Professor at the Department of World History, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU),  Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Аndreeva S. L. Gumanitarnye nauki i gumanitarnoe obrazovanie 2016: novye issledovaniya, kontseptsii, idei, Humanitarian and educational research, 2017, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 160–168.

2. Galiguzov I. F., Churilin M. E. Flagman otechestvennoj industrii. Istoriya Magnitogorskogo metallurgicheskogo kombinata im. V. I. Lenina, Moscow, Mysl', 1978, 251 p.

3. Degtyarev А. G. Letopis' gory Magnitnoj i goroda Magnitogorska, Magnitogorsk, Magnitogor. poligr. predpriyatie, 1993, 115 p.

4. Istoricheskij fakul'tet 1932–1953 gg.; 1996–2006 gg. / sost. M. G. Аbramzon, I. N. Kravtsova, А. А. Osipova; pod. red. А. А. Osipovoj, Magnitogorsk, Magnitogorskij gosudarstvennyj universitet, 2006. 56 p.

5. Kafedra vseobshhej istorii MGTU im. G.I. Nosova [Elektronnyj resurs] URL: http://www.magtu.ru/sveden/struct/instituty-fakultety-kafedry/institut-gumanitarnogo-obrazovaniya/kafedry-instituta-gumanitarnogo-obrazovaniya/napravlenie-istoriya-i-sotsiologiya/kafedra-novoj-i-novejshej-istorii.html (data obrashheniya: 25.01.2019).

6. KPSS v rezolyutsiyakh i resheniyakh s"ezdov, konferentsij i plenumov TSK (1898-1986). 9-e izd., dop. i ispr. 1956–1960. T. 9, Moscow, Politizdat, 1986, 574 p.

7. KPSS v rezolyutsiyakh. i resheniyakh s"ezdov, konferentsij i plenumov TSK (1898–1986). 9-e izd., dop. i ispr. 1946–1955, T. 8. Moscow, Politizdat, 1985, 542 p.

8. Kutykova I. V. Transformatsiya otechestvennogo istoricheskogo obrazovaniya: uroki istorii, Ideas and Ideals, 2016, no. 3 (29), vol. 2, pp. 112–126.

9. Lyudi, dela, traditsii. EHntsiklopediya MaGU (1932–2012). Nauchno-issledovatel'skaya slovarnaya laboratoriya MaGU; otv. red. S. G. Shulezhkova. 3-e izdanie, pererabotannoe i dopolnennoe, Magnitogorsk, Magnitogorskij gosudarstvennyj universitet, 2012, 546 p.

10. Magnitka i Pobeda: nauchno-publitsisticheskoe izdanie, posvyashhennoe 65-letiyu Velikoj Pobedy / gl. red. S. V. Gerasimova; nauch. red. M. N. Potemkina. Magnitogorsk, OOO «PR-Kapital. Izdatel'skij Dom», 2010. 300 p.

11. Terekhov А. N. Sistema istoricheskogo obrazovaniya v Rossii: spetsifika ehvolyutsii v XX v., Bulletin of the Chelyabinsk State Academy of Culture and Arts, 2009, Release 1 (17), pp. 51–61.

12. Ushmaeva K. А. Vysshee istoricheskoe obrazovanie v Rossii (20–90-e gody XX veka): monografiya. Stavropol, Izd-vo StavGU, 2008, 498 p.

13. Kolokoltsev V. M., Filatov V. V. Magnitka. Steel and people. Chernye metally. 2016. No. 12. pp. 60–67.

For citation

Potemkina M. N., Filatov V. V. Teaching History and Studying for History Degrees in Magnitogorsk (1932–2019), Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2019, vol. 3, no 1, pp. 34–43.