Download PDF

Abstract

August 31, 2020 will mark the 150th anniversary of Maria Montessori, a famous Italian educator, a doctor, PhD of medical Sciences, and a world-class scientist. Montessori has its own ambiguous history, significance and relevance? So these issues make the topic of this article. The goal of M. Montessori's pedagogy is to educate a free, independent person. The system is based on the ideas of free education: the inadmissibility of violence against the child's personality, the individual freedom, self-worth, uniqueness of the childhood period, the denial of the active pedagogical intrusion into personal development. The great teacher noted the existence of a special world of childhood, in which the child's development is subjected to special laws, and mental development is more successful when a child gains independence and inner freedom. It should also be noted that Montessori materials allowed not only to individualize the learning process, but also contributed to the creative development of educational subjects. In her research, M. Montessori assigned a special role to a teacher being an observer, an experimenter, a creator of special conditions for the natural awakening of children's interest in the everyday environment, a creator of a special material environment with a set of exercises for self-development and self-education of a child of preschool and primary school age. In modern preschool education, the subject and activity oriented approach is one of the most significant and promising, and therefore it is so important to know its origins, closely related to the name of M. Montessori, her method of free self-development of the child in a specially prepared environment. Today, Montessori pedagogy, which defined a new way of pedagogical thinking in the ХХ century, has gained a firm place in the innovative development of preschool education in the Republic of Belarus and Russia of the XXI century.

Keywords: subject-activity approach, Maria Montessori, self-worth of preschool childhood, method of free self-development, teacher, preschool education.

Authors:

Tatyana L. Gornostay, Candidate of Pedagogics, Associate Professor at the Department of Pedagogics,  Pushkin Brest State University, The Republic of Belarus, Brest; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Natalia A. Stepanova, Candidate of Pedagogics, Associate Professor, Department of Pre-school Education, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Blonskii P. P. Vvedenie v doshkol'noe vospitanie, Moscow, Prakticheskie znaniya, 1915, 139 p.

2. Gornostai T. L., Stepanova N. A. Pedagogicheskaya podderzhka razvitiya sub"ektnoi pozitsii rebenka doshkol'nogo vozrasta, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2019, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 7-11.

3. Doshkol'naya pedagogika s osnovami metodik vospitaniya i obucheniya : uchebnik dlya vuzov. 2-e izd. Standart tret'ego pokoleniya / pod red. A. G. Gogoberidze, O. V. Solntsevoi, Saint Petersburg, Piter, 2015, 464 p.

4. Kornetov G. B. Pamyatnye daty istorii obrazovaniya i pedagogiki, Istoriko-pedagogicheskii zhurnal [History of Education Journal], 2015, no. 3, pp. 11–24.

5. Lermontov V. V. Novaya kniga Montessori «Samovospitanie v elementarnykh shkolakh», Uchitel', 1918, no. 4, pp. 29-31.

6. Lyubina G. A. Garmonicheskaya atmosfera Montessori, Doshkol'noe vospitanie [Preschool education], 2000, no. 11, pp. 47–52.

7. Lyubina G. A. Pis'ma o Montessori-pedagogike : posobie dlya pedagogov det. doshk. uchrezhdenii, Minsk, NM Tsentr, 1998, 192 p.

8. Montessori M. Dom rebenka. Metod nauchnoi pedagogiki, Gomel, Praleska, 1993, 366 p.

9. Montessori M. Metod nauchnoi pedagogiki, primenyaemyi k detskomu vospitaniyu v domakh rebenka, Moscow, Zadruga, 1915, 316 p.

10. Montessori M. Samovospitanie i samoobuchenie v nachal'noi shkole, Moscow, Rabotnik prosveshcheniya, 1922, 162 p.

11. Selevko G. K. Tekhnologiya samorazvitiya (M. Montessori), Shkol'nye tekhnologii, 1998, no. 2, pp. 176–179.

12. Starzhinskaya N. S., Tukach V. P. Stanovlenie i razvitie Montessori-pedagogiki v Belarusi Istoriko-pedagogicheskii zhurnal [History of Education Journal], 2014, no. 3, pp. 153–163.

13. Tikheeva E. I. Doma rebenka Montessori v Rime, ikh teoriya i praktika. Petrograd, B. i., 1915, 71 p.

14. Troshina V. V. Nash put', Praleska, 1994, no. 9, pp. 8–9.

15. Fausek Yu. I. O sisteme Montessori, Russkaya shkola, 1914, no. 5–6, pp. 1–18; no. 7–8, pp. 1–18.

16. Khiltunen E. A. Prakticheskaya Montessori-pedagogika, Moscow, Al'ta-Print, 2005, 128 p.

17. Chulitskaya L. I. Biologicheskie osobennosti doshkol'nogo vozrasta i sistema Montessori, Novye idei v pedagogike : sb. 5. Peresmotr osnov pedagogiki Montessori / pod red. E. N. Tikheevoi, L. I. Chulitskoi, P. O. Efrussi, Leningrad, Obrazovanie, 1924, pp. 38-61.

18. Efrussi P. Biopsikhologicheskie osnovy pedagogiki Montessori, Novye idei v pedagogike : sb. 5. Peresmotr osnov pedagogiki Montessori / pod red. E. N. Tikheevoi, L. I. Chulitskoi, P. O. Efrussi. Leningrad, Obrazovanie, 1924, C. 5–37.

19. Yanzhul E. N. Detskie sady po sisteme Montessori, Kiev, tip. t-va I.N. Kushnerev i K°, 1912, 22 p.

For citation

Gornostay T. L., Stepanova N. A. History and Development of M. Montessori Approach of Subject Activity in Preschool Education, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2020, vol. 4, no 2, pp. 56-62