Download PDF

Abstract

The article is devoted to the analysis of the possibilities of the effective use of corpus technologies in the field of linguistics. The authors’ aim is to systematize the accumulated experience of assessing the National Corpus of Russian as a foreign language at classes with foreign students. The developed system of tasks and exercises is preceded by a brief review of publications highlighting a problem of Corpus teaching Russian as a native or as a foreign language. The main target audience of the proposed tasks is foreign students studying Russian as a foreign language in Russian universities. The types of tasks proposed by the authors are developed on the subcorpus with homonymy. This very subcorpus is recommended by the Russian National Corpus’ developers for using in educational purposes. There are two types of exercises: “active” and “passive”. These tasks are aimed at analyzing the phenomena of the Russian language that are difficult for a foreign audience to comprehend, such as polysemy and homonymy, verb management, the type of verb, the formation of participles. In the process of solving educational issues, exercises of the "active" type are designed to serve as the basis for developing students' practical skills in working with textual material: creating search queries in the Russian National Corpus using various parameters, working with "filters", and working on lexico-grammatical search. Nevertheless, along with the use of the Corpus, an appeal to traditional means of learning - a dictionary- is required. The efficiency of corpus teaching is determined by the ability to access the Corpus in order to verify students' own language knowledge, as well as the fact that the corpus, unlike textbooks, contains relevant texts of different functional styles. Finally, the Corpus is equipped with a complex system metalinguistic and linguistic markup, which allows students to master the system of terms. The authors express confidence that the Russian National Corpus can be effectively used to organize both classes and students’ self studying.

Keywords. Corpus linguistics, corpus technology, using corpora in language teaching, language corpus, Russian National Corpus, Russian as a foreign language.

Authors:

Elena Valeryevna Grudeva, Doctor of Philology, Professor, Head of Department of Russian Philology and Applied Communications, Cherepovets State University (Cherepovets, Russia); This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Alexeeva Vlada Ravilievna, Masters Student of Department of Russian Philology and Applied Communications, Humanities Institute of Cherepovets State University Cherepovets, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Gerasimova M. N., Grudeva E. V. Ispol'zovanie lingvisticheski annotirovannogo korpusa tekstov na zanyatiyakh po distsiplinam «Russkii yazyk» i «Russkii yazyk i kul'tura rechi»: iz opyta raboty, Vestnik Chere-povetskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Cherepovets State University Bulletin], 2014, no. 2 (55), pp. 65–68.

2. Grishina E. A. Mul'timediinyi russkii korpus (MURKO) : problemy annotatsii, Natsional'nyi korpus russkogo yazyka: 2006—2008. Novye rezul'taty i perspektivy, Saint Petersburg, Nestor-Istoriya, 2009, pp. 175–214.

3. Grudeva E. V. Korpusnaya lingvistika, Uchebnoe posobie, Moscow, Flinta, 2012, 165 p.

4. Grudeva E. V. Mul'timediinyi korpus russkogo yazyka: vozmozhnosti ispol'zovaniya, Problemy po-rozhdeniya i vospriyatiya rechi: Materialy XII vyezdnoi shkoly-seminara (29–30 noyabrya 2013 g., g. Cherepovets), Otv. red. E. V. Grudeva, Cherepovets, ChGU, 2014, pp. 99–105.

5. Grudeva E. V., Buchilova I. A., Volkova N. A. Korpusy oshibok: tselevaya auditoriya, vozmozhnaya arkhi-tektura korpusa, Vestnik Cherepovetskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Cherepovets State University Bulletin], 2018, no. 5 (86), pp. 63–72.

6. Dobrushina N. R. Kak ispol'zovat' Natsional'nyi korpus russkogo yazyka v obrazovanii?, Natsio-nal'nyi korpus russkogo yazyka: 2003–2005, Moscow, Indrik, 2005, pp. 308–329.

7. Dobrushina N. R. Korpusnye metodiki obucheniya russkomu yazyku, Natsional'nyi korpus russkogo yazyka: 2006–2008. Novye rezul'taty i perspektivy, Saint Petersburg, Nestor-Istoriya, 2009, pp. 335–352.

8. Kopotev M. V. Vvedenie v korpusnuyu lingvistiku: Uchebnoe posobie, Praha, Animedia, 2014, URL: https://iknigi.net/avtor-mihail-kopotev/105402-vvedenie-v-korpusnuyu-lingvistiku-mihail-kopotev/read/page-1.html (accessed 1 March 2020).

9. Ol'khovskaya A. I. Korpusnoe prepodavanie russkogo yazyka, Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo pe-dagogicheskogo universiteta. [Tomsk State Pedagogical University Bulletin], 2019, no. 2 (199), URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/korpusnoe-prepodavanie-russkogo-yazyka (accessed 3 April 2020).

10. Plungyan V. A. Zachem my delaem Natsional'nyi korpus russkogo yazyka?, Otechestvennye zapiski, Moscow, 2005, no. 2(23). URL: http://www.philology.ru/linguistics2/plungyan-05.htm (accessed 1 December 2019).

11. Savchuk S. O., Sichinava D. V. Obuchayushchii korpus russkogo yazyka i ego ispol'zovanie v prepodava-tel'skoi praktike, Natsional'nyi korpus russkogo yazyka: 2006–2008. Novye rezul'taty i perspektivy, Saint Petersburg, Nestor-Istoriya, 2009, pp. 317–334.

12. Sinkler Dzh. Predislovie k knige «Kak ispol'zovat' korpusa v prepodavanii inostrannogo yazyka». Sinclair, John McH., ed. How to use corpora in language teaching. Amsterdam [u.a.], Benjamins, 2004. VI, URL: http://studiorum-ruscorpora.ru/wp-content/themes/bootstrap-basic4child/texts/sinclair_introduc-tion.pdf (accessed 1 March 2020).

13. Rychkova L. V., Kienya S. N. Korpusnye tekhnologii v prepodavanii RKI, Etnokul'turnyi i sotsiolingvisticheskii aspekty v teorii i praktike prepodavaniya yazykov v negumanitarnykh vuzakh: sb. nauch. st. Minsk, Belorusskii natsional'nyi tekhnicheskii universitet, 2010, pp. 32–43.

14. Yanda Lora A. Studenty – pol'zovateli Natsional'nogo korpusa russkogo yazyka, Natsional'nyi korpus russkogo yazyka i problemy gumanitarnogo obrazovaniya. Pod redaktsiei N. R. Dobrushinoi, Moscow, 2007, pp. 60–73.

15. Ponomareva L.D., Churilina L.N., Buzhinskaya D.S. etc. Russian National corpus as tool of linguodidactic innovation in teaching languages, International Jornal of Environmental and Science Education, 2016, vol. 11, no 18, pp.13043–13053.

For citation

Grudeva E. V., Alexeeva V.R. The Potential of Corpus Technologies in Teaching Russian as a Foreign Language, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2020, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 20-26.