Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2021-5-1-10-16

Abstract

Foreign language is a compulsory subject for training of scientific and pedagogical personnel of higher qualification. To be admitted to pass the candidate foreign language exam a post-graduate should write down an abstract translation of a foreign language source from the professional sphere. The topic of the source should be close to the theme of the theses. The purpose of this study is to summarize many years of practical experience in preparing post-graduates for the foreign language candidate exam and to give recommendations for writing an abstract translation on the chosen scientific literature. While working with foreign-language authentic sources, post-graduates form the ability to apply knowledge and communication skills gained in a foreign language course in further professional and scientific activities. The abstract is a semantic compression of the text, which allows you to reflect the main ideas of the original source. When working with text, translation skills are practiced: search for semantic equivalents, lexical and grammatical transformations, choice of professional terms. The preparation of the abstract develops the ability to work with information: search for the necessary resources which are relevant to the research, writing the bibliography, presenting ideas in the form of annotation, abstract, theses, writing a glossary. The abstracting algorithm includes the first glance the source, viewing reading, translation with the selection of professional terms, referencing, annotation, editing and design of the text. Important parts of the abstract are an abstract in a foreign language, a bibliographic list, and a dictionary of terms. The skills obtained during the work on the abstract contribute to the development of universal communicative competence of post-graduates and are used in the further scientific and professional activities of the officer. This article can be used to develop methodological and practical recommendations for writing abstract translation for post-graduates.

Keywords: abstracting, annotating, bibliography, auto-editing, dictionary of terms, abstract translation, foreign language training, candidate exam.

Author:

Ekaterina V. Agarkova, candidate of philological sciences, professor, professor of the department of foreign languages of Mikhaylovsky military artillery academy, Saint-Petersburg, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Marina R. Vanyagina, candidate of pedagogical sciences associate professor, professor of the department of foreign languages of St. Petersburg military Zhukov’s order institute of the National Guard troops of the Russian Federation, Saint-Petersburg, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Agarkova E. V., Vanyagina M. R. Obuchenie ad"yunktov chteniyu i perevodu inoyazychnoi autentichnoi professional'noi literatury, Obrazovanie i kul'tura. Sbornik materialov Mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii / pod red. A. G. Mukhametshina, N. M. Asratyana, E. R. Ganieva, Naberezhnye Chelny, Naberezhnochelninskii gosudarstvennyi pedagogicheskii universitet, 2020, pp. 8–12.

2. Agarkova E. V., Vanyagina M. R. Organizatsiya obucheniya inostrannomu yazyku u ad"yunktov voennoi aka-demii s tsel'yu formirovaniya kommunikativnykh i professional'nykh kompetentsii, Ustoichivoe razvitie nauki i obrazovaniya, 2019, no. 4, pp. 340–347.

3. Bagramova N. V., Smirnova N. V., Shchemeleva I. Yu. Obuchenie chteniyu na inostrannom yazyke v sovre-mennom universitete : monografiya. 2-e izd. Moscow, Yurait, 2020, 186 p.

4. Gerte N. A., Kurushin D. S., Nesterova N. M. Svertyvanie informatsii v protsesse referirovaniya: metody i vozmozhnye puti formalizatsii, Vestnik Permskogo natsional'nogo issledovatel'skogo politekhniche-skogo universiteta. Problemy yazykoznaniya i pedagogiki, 2013, no. 7 (49), pp. 188–196.

5. Zarutskaya Zh. N., Savinova Yu. A., Mikhailov V. V., Lukina O. A. Professional'no-orientirovannyi podkhod k izucheniyu angliiskogo yazyka kak odno iz prioritetnykh napravlenii professional'nogo obrazova-niya studentov inzhenerno-tekhnicheskogo profilya, Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern Problems of Science and Education. Surgery] 2018, no. 3, p. 87.

6. Komarova Yu. A. Nauchno-issledovatel'skaya kompetentnost' spetsialistov: funktsional'no-soderzhatel'noe opisanie, Izvestiya Rossiiskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta im. A. I. Gertsena [Izvestia: Herzen University Journal of Humanities & Sciences], 2008, no. 68, pp. 69–77.

7. Korotkina I. B. Akademicheskoe pis'mo: protsess, produkt i praktika: uchebnoe posobie dlya vuzov, Moscow, Yurait, 2019, 295 p.

8. Frolova N. A., Aleshchanova I. V. Obuchenie referirovaniyu i annotirovaniyu professional'noi literatury na inostrannom yazyke v kompleksnoi podgotovke spetsialista, Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern Problems of Science and Education. Surgery], 2007, no. 5, p. 11.

9. Shapovalova T. R., Tityaeva G. V. (sost.). Referirovanie i annotirovanie spetsial'nykh tekstov na ino strannom yazyke, uchebno-metodicheskoe posobie, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, izd-vo SakhGU, 2012, 122 p.

10. Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Seventh Edition, APA Style Series, 2020, 428 p.

11. The Chicago Manual of Style. URL: https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html (date of access: 20 February 2021).

For citation

Agarkova E.V., Vanyagina M.R. Abstracting Foreign Language Sources While Training the Post-graduates for the Candidate Examination, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2025, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 10–16.