Download PDF

Abstract

In the article, the authors refer to the novel "Black book" by the Turkish writer O. Pamuk. Using the methods of communication, historical and cultural kinds, as well as comparative studies, an attempt to present the problem of cultural interaction between Western and Eastern civilizations based on the text of the novel is made. The authors of the article clearly demonstrate that O. Pamuk, skillfully combining historical and modern facts, features of Eastern and Western culture, Sufi texts and detective intrigues, political disputes and romance, smartly achieves the creation of a polyphonic canvas, where color symbolism takes a significant place. The author considers the motive of blind and thoughtless imitation on different narrative levels (the Eastern civilization imitation   of the West one, one literary work emulates another, the desire of one person to be like another one). In a metaphorical sense, this novel embodies the worldview of a lost person, his tangible dreams that are becoming reality, his ideas about the past and present. More than once in the course of the novel, Pamuk notes that the attempt to combine modern Western and traditional Turkic-Islamic culture leads to internal mental discord of his contemporaries. Finally, the authors conclude that in the novel "Black book", despite the extreme tension generated by globalization of cultural battles, uneven development of Western and Eastern civilizations, the writer considers the priority of peaceful coexistence and mutual understanding of the two worlds, overcoming cultural xenophobia by means of a dialogue of cultures.

Keywords: Pamuk, synthesis of cultures, polyphony, color symbolism, globalization, literary process, East, West.

Аuthors:

Konstantin N. Savelyev, Doctor of Philology, associate Professor, Professor  of  Department of Linguistics and Literary Studies of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ekaterina Yu. Stepanova, Librarian of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Barzukaeva A. A. Vliyanie sufiiskoi literatury na stilistiku romana Orkhana Pamuka «Chernaya kniga», Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta. Seriya: Gumanitarnye nauki [Vestnik of Moscow State Linguistic University. Humanities], 2013, no. 22 (682), URL: http://www.os.x-pdf.ru/20jazykoznanie/760747-1-udk-821512161-28-barzukaeva-prepodavatel-kaf-vostochnih-yazikov.php.

2. Bakhtin M.  . Estetika slovesnogo tvorchestva, M.: Iskusstvo, 1986. 445 s.

3. Dvortsova D. V. Osnovnye problemy samoidentifikatsii Turetskoi Respubliki v kontekste dikhotomii Vostok-Zapad (na primere tvorchestva O. Pamuka), Ethnocultural identity as a strategic resource of consciousness of society in the conditions of globalization : materials of the IV international scientific conference on September 28–29, 2016, Prague, Vědecko vydavatelské centrum «Sociosféra-CZ», 2016, pp. 62–67.

4. Gruzdeva E. A., Vafina A. Kh. Motiv poiska v romane Orkhana Pamuka «Chernaya kniga», Filologicheskie nauki. Voprosy teorii i praktiki [Philology. Theory & Practice], Tambov, Gramota, 2018, no. 7(85), vol. 2, Izdatel'stvo GRAMOTA. URL: https://www.gramota.net/materials/2/2018/7-2/3.html.

5. Losev A. F. Problema simvola i realisticheskogo iskusstva, Moscow, Iskusstvo, 1976, 367 p.

6. Meletinskii E. M. Vvedenie v istoricheskuyu poetiku eposa i romana, Moscow, Nauka, 1986, 318 p.

7. Pachner M. Ot litery do literatury, Moscow, KoLibri, 2019, 447 p.

8. Panova O. B., Lankevich E. V. Tvorchestvo Orkhana Pamuka: istoricheskaya traditsiya turetskoi natsio-nal'noi literatury i «melankholicheskii postmodernizm» (na osnove romana «Chernaya kniga»), Yazyk i kul'tura : sbornik statei XXVI Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferentsii (27-30 oktyabrya 2015 g.) / otv. red. S. K. Gural', Tomsk, Izdatel'skii Dom Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2016, pp. 335–338.

9. Posokhova K. V. Simvolika tsveta v romanakh Orkhana Pamuka «Belaya krepost'», «Chernaya kniga» i «Menya zovut krasnyi», Uchenye zapiski Krymskogo federal'nogo universiteta imeni V. I. Vernadskogo. Seriya: Filologicheskie nauki [Scientific Notes of V.I. Vernadsky Crimean Federal University. Philological sciences], 2016, vol. 2 (68), no. 3, pp. 453-458.

10. Savel'ev K. N. «Biografiya Belgrada» M. Pavicha kak novyi tip khudozhestvennogo povestvovaniya, Vzaimootnosheniya Rossii i Serbii: gumanitarnye nauki segodnya, Nasleђe. Journal of Language, Literature, Arts and Culture, 2017, vol. XIV, Belgrad, 2017, pp. 107-113.

11. Savel'ev K. N. Tezaurusnyi podkhod i problema perekhodnykh periodov, Libri Magistri, 2017, vol. 3, pp. 14-19.

12. Semenov N. S. Filosofskie traditsii Vostoka. Gl. 3. Vostok i Zapad: vvedenie v problem, Minsk, EGU, 2004, URL: http://religa.narod.ru/biblio/east_ph3.htm.

13. Toporov V. N. Mif. Ritual. Simvol. Obraz : Issledovaniya v oblasti mifopoeticheskom, Moscow, Progress, Kul'tura, 1995, 623 p.

For citation

Savelev K. N., Stepanova E. Yu. O. Pamuk's novel "Black Book" as a synthesis of the East and West cultures, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2020, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 44–49.