Download PDF

doi: 10.18503/2658-3186-2024-8-3-44-51

Abstract. This article examines the problems of socio-cultural development of the first secret settlements of the Ural nuclear scientists. Based on declassified archival documents and other materials, it is shown that this process was influenced by the primary ideas about “atomic” settlements as small working locations, as well as the secondary nature of solving social problems in comparison with scientific and industrial issues and the need to ensure secrecy. Thus, at the first stage of the Ural nuclear complex creation, nuclear scientists had to experience many difficulties of a social and domestic nature. The sphere of trade, public catering and household services seriously lagged behind the needs of the rapidly growing population of the settlements. Landscaping work around the existing and commissioned residential buildings was extremely slow. Later, as new, more powerful nuclear facilities were built and put into operation, the country's leadership and the atomic agency began to direct huge financial and material resources to solving housing and socio-cultural problems in “closed” settlements. The article notes that an important role in the creating of the material base of culture, spiritual and intellectual life was played by the scientific director of the atomic project, academician I.V. Kurchatov. The uniqueness of the socio-cultural environment of the classified Ural nuclear cities created over 35-40 years, which differs from other settlements in Russia in many of its high indicators, is emphasized.

Keywords: the USSR nuclear project, “closed” cities, cultural institutions, housing, city-forming nuclear enterprises

Information about the author

Tolstikov V. S. – Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor of the Department of History, Museology and document management of The Chelyabinsk State Institute of Culture and Arts.

References

1. Kuznetsov V. N. Atomnye zakrytye administrativno-territorial'nye obrazovaniya Urala: istoriya i sovremennost'. Chast' 1. Sovetskii period, Ekaterinburg, Bank kul'turnoi informatsii. 2015, 437 p.

2. Tolstikov V. S. K istorii formirovaniya i razvitiya zakrytykh gorodov Urala v 40–50-e gg. XX veka, Vestnik Yuzhno-Ural'skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Sotsial'no-gumanit. nauki = Social Sciences and the Humanities. Social Sciences and the Humanities, 2011, no. 3 (247), pp. 53–56. (In Russ.).

3. Faikov D. Yu. Zakrytye administrativnye obrazovaniya. «Atomnye goroda» D. Yu. Faikov, Sarov, FGUP. RFYaTs – VNIIEF, 2010, 270 p.

4. Novoselov V. N., Tolstikov V. S., Klepikov A. I. Istoriya Yuzhno-Ural'skogo upravleniya stroitel'stva, Chelyabinsk, NIK, 1998, 416 p.

5. Kuznetsov V. N. Obshchestvenno-politicheskaya zhizn' v zakrytykh gorodakh Urala. Pervoe desyatiletie, Ekaterinburg, UrO RAN, RIG “Postmodern”, 2015, 154 p.

6. Konstantinova A. G. Munitsipal'naya kul'turnaya politika v usloviyakh sotsial'no-politicheskikh transformatsii 1990-kh gg. (na primere atomnykh zakrytykh administrativno-territorial'nykh obrazovanii Urala): avtoref. dis. ... kand. istorich. nauk: 07.00.02, Ekaterinburg, 2004, 26 p.

7. Mel'nikova N. V. Sovetskii atomnyi proekt: opyt kadrovogo obespecheniya / otv. red. E. T. Artemov, Moscow, Politicheskaya entsiklopediya, 2021, 390 p.

8. Mel'nikova N. V. Fenomen zakrytogo atomnogo goroda, Ocherki istorii Urala, vol. 42, Ekaterinburg, Bank kul'turnoi inform., 2006. 175 p.

9. Mel'nikova N. V., Poberezhnikov I. V. Povsednevnost' zakrytykh atomnykh gorodov SSSR, Trudy Otdeleniya istoriko-filologicheskikh nauk RAN, 2020, vol. 10, otv. red. V. A. Tishkov, Moscow, 2021, pp. 35–50. (In Russ.)

10. Alekseev V. V. Poberezhnikov I. V. i dr. Opyt rossiiskikh modernizatsii XVIII – XX vv.: vzaimodei-stvie makro - i mikroprotsessov : kollektivnaya monografiya, Ekaterinburg, Bank kul'turnoi informatsii, 2011, 402 p.

11. Grovs L. R. Teper' ob etom mozhno rasskazat'. Istoriya Mankhettenskogo proekta, per. s angl. O. P. Begicheva, Moscow, Atomizdat, 1964, 301 p.

12. Munitsipal'nyi arkhiv Ozerskogo gorodskogo okruga (MAOGO), coll. 1, aids 3, fol. 8.

13. Ob"edinennyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Chelyabinskoi oblasti (OGAChO), coll. 1137, aids 1, fol. 25.

14. Tsentr dokumentatsii obshchestvennykh organizatsii Sverdlovskoi oblasti (TsDOOSO), coll. 5673, aids 1, D. 147.

15. Ob"edinennyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Chelyabinskoi oblasti (OGAChO), coll. 1137, aids 1, fol. 48.

16. Ob"edinennyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Chelyabinskoi oblasti (OGAChO), coll. 1137, aids 1, fol. 14.

17. Ob"edinennyi gosudarstvennyi arkhiv Chelyabinskoi oblasti (OGAChO), coll. 1137, aids 1, fol. 52.

18. Munitsipal'nyi arkhiv Ozerskogo gorodskogo okruga (MAOGO), coll. 1, aids 3, fol. 2.

19. Munitsipal'nyi arkhiv Ozerskogo gorodskogo okruga (MAOGO), coll. 1, aids. 3, fol. 4.

20. Munitsipal'nyi arkhiv Ozerskogo gorodskogo okruga (MAOGO), coll. 1, aids 3, fol. 11.

21. Tolstikov V. S. Sotsial'no-ekologicheskie posledstviya razvitiya atomnoi promyshlennosti na Urale (1945-1998 gg.) : monografiya, Chelyabinsk, Chelyab. gos. in-t iskusstv i kul'tury, Chelyab. in-t povysheniya kvali-fikatsii i perepodgot. rabotnikov obrazovaniya, 1998, 301 p.

For citation: Tolstikov V. S. Socio-cultural environment formation in the “closed” nuclear cities in the Urals (1945-1991), Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya = Humanitarian and pedagogical Research, 2024, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 44–51. (In Russ.). doi:10.18503/2658-3186-2024-8-3-44-51.