Download PDF

DOI:10.18503/2658-3186-2023-7-1-40-53

Abstract. The paper deals with some translation issues of the graphic novel in terms of multimodal communication so widely-spread in the modern society and the problems of their localisation that eliminates some intercultural barriers for the Russian reader. The authors make a recount of the emergence of the graphic novel genre dating back to the comics, paying special attention to the text organization structure of the whole novel and the panel structure, which have a direct impact on translation solutions. Analysing three graphic novels the authors aim at examining translation transformations commonly used for monomodal (verbal) texts in relation to the graphic novel translation provided that the translator regards the multimodal character of the text (the graphic image) and the panel organization without changing its visual elements. In reaching the goal the authors analyse the application of such translation transformations as zero transformation, generalization, specification, omission, compensation, lexical and grammatical substitutes, etc., coming to the conclusion that most of the analysed text samples have proved to be successfully translated by means of these translation transformations properly chosen in accordance with the situation described in the novel, the writer’s style and the target reader. Although changing the graphic image on the panel is considered to be against the rules in the translation of the graphic novel, the authors of the article have noticed the introduction of some minor change in the graphic image containing verbal text that was made for better localisation of the novel which does not interfere with the style. This change in the graphic image is considered to be an intersemiotic translation and poses some prospects for further investigations of translation issues of multimodal texts giving the results of this research paper certain significance. The novelty of this paper comprises the study of the three graphic novels which have never been discussed in regard to the translation problems of the genre in question.

Keywords: graphic novel, comics, multimodality, multimodal text, graphic image, translation transformations.

Аuthors:

Natalia S. Soloveva, Associate Professor, Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor at the Department of Linguistics and Translation, Institute of Humanitarian Education, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Olga M. Sedliarova, Associate Professor, Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor at the Department of Linguistics and Translation, Institute of Humanitarian Education, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Gervasovskaya S. Yu. Graficheskii roman v sisteme komiksovykh zhanrov, Via scientiarum – doroga znanii. 2022, no. 1, pp. 121–126.

2. Isaeva O. A. Evolyutsiya stilya rannikh graficheskikh romanov Anglii i SShA, Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo gosudarstvennogo instituta kul'tury [Vestnik of Saint-Petersburg State University of Culture], 2016, no. 2(27), pp. 165–168.

3. Komissarov V. N. Teoriya perevoda (lingvisticheskie aspekty), Moscow, Vysshaya shkola, 1990, 253 p.

4. Kukovskaya A. V. Strategii perevoda polimodal'nykh tekstov: iz opyta obucheniya studentov professional'no orientirovannomu perevodu s angliiskogo na russkii yazyk, Filologicheskie nauki. Voprosy teorii i praktiki [Philology. Theory & Practice], 2020, vol. 13, no.12, pp. 306–311.

5. Kunin A. I. Novye zhanrovyi napravleniya v rossiiskikh risovannykh istoriyakh (2000–2010-e gg.), Dvenadtsatye Makushinskie chteniya «Knizhnaya kul'tura – sotsio-kommunikatsionnyi fenomen v teoreticheskom, istoricheskom i prognosticheskom aspektakh» (Tyumen', 25–27 maya 2021 g.), Novosibirsk, [s.n.], 2021, pp. 237–244.

6. Retsker Ya. I. Posobie po perevodu s angliiskogo yazyka na russkii yazyk, Moscow, Prosveshchenie, 1982, 159 p.

7. Sedlyarova O. M., Solov'eva N. S. Produkty lingvovizual'noi kul'tury v lingvisticheskikh i lingvodidakticheskikh issledovaniyakh, Aktual'nye problemy sovremennoi nauki, tekhniki i obrazovaniya. Tezisy 80-i mezhdunar. nauch.-tekhn. konf., Magnitogorsk, Izd-vo Magnitogorsk. gos. un-t im. G. I. Nosova, 2022, vol. 2, p. 347.

8. Turkova E. I. Osobennosti perevoda graficheskogo romana: stilisticheskii aspect, Yazykovaya lichnost' i perevod : materialy V Mezhdunar. nauch.-obrazovat. foruma molodykh perevodchikov, posvyashch. 100-letiyu Belorusskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta (Minsk, 12–13 noyabrya 2020 goda), Minsk, Izd-vo Belorusskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2020, pp. 220–222.

9. Khrustaleva M. A. Osobennosti perevoda graficheskikh Romanov, Vestnik permskogo universiteta. Rossiiskaya i zarubezhnaya filologiya [Perm University Herald. Russian and Foreign Philology], 2020, no. 4, pp. 68–78.

10. Khrustaleva M. A., Sukhanova A. E. Osobennosti perevoda graficheskogo romana (na materiale “Watchmen”), Yazyk: kategoriya, funktsii, rechevoe deistvie: Materialy XIV mezhdunar. nauch. konf. Vypusk 14. Chast' II. (Moskva–Kolomna, 15–16 aprelya 2021 g.), Kolomna, Izd-vo Gosudarstvennogo obrazovatel'nogo uchrezhdenie vysshego obrazovaniya Moskovskoi oblasti «Gosudarstvennyi sotsial'no-gumanitarnyi universitet», 2021, pp. 154–156.

11. Yakimova E. E. Vekhi razvitiya zhanra graficheskogo romana v zarubezhnoi i russkoi literature. Otlichiya i skhodstva graficheskogo romana i komiksa, Aktual'nye nauchnye issledovaniya v sovremennom mire, 2021, no. 10-9 (78), pp. 101-109.

12. Eisner W. Comics and Sequential Art, Tamarac, Poorhouse Press, 1990, 164 p.

13. Gambier Y. Multimodality and Audiovisual Translation in Audiovisual Translation Scenarios [Elektronnyi tekst], EU–High–Level Scientific Conference Series, 2006. URL: https://euroconferences.info/proceedings/2006_Proceedings/2006_Gambier_Yves.pdf (accessed 7 May 2020).

14. Goldsmith F. The Readers’ Advisory Guide to Graphic Novels, Chicago, American Library Association, 2010, 137 p.

15. Kaindl K. Multimodality and translation, The Routledge Handbook of Translation, eds. C. Millán, F. Bartrina, New York, the Taylor & Francis Group, 2013, 594 p.

16. Kress G. Multimodal Discourse: The Modes and Media of Contemporary Communication, London, Arnold, 2001, 152 p.

17. Sedliarova O. M., Solovieva N. S. Comics as educational tools in teaching English grammar, lexis and communication skills, Society. Integration. Education. Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference, Riga, Rezekne Academy of Technologies, 2021, vol. 5, pp. 615–627.

For citation

Soloveva N. S., Sedliarova O. M. Translation Issues of the Graphic Novel as a Multimodal Text, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2023, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 40–53.