Download PDF

DOI: 10.18503/2658-3186-2022-6-4-23-28

Abstract. In the modern literature on the United States of America foreign policy at the beginning of the XXI century, there is no shortage of studies on American-Polish relations. However, most of the authors focus their attention mainly on the political dimension of the Washington-Warsaw dialogue. The purpose of this article is to analyze the approaches of the United States to the implementation of the strategy for Poland in the field of energy development. Based on available sources and literature, a general conclusion was made that the energy strategy of the United States of America with respect to the Polish Republic since the 2010s completely fits into the general line of the Americans aimed at squeezing Russia out of Europe, inciting conflict between the "Old" and "New" Europe and containing the European Union. The United States, on the one hand, has always seen Poland as a potential energy hub that would help diversify Russian gas supplies to Europe and at the same time be able to control the energy consumption of the leading economies of the European Union. On the other hand, Washington understands Poland's ambitions to become not only a transit country, but also a leading European supplier of energy resources. The United States has made a lot of efforts to attract business attention to the prospects for exploration and production of Polish shale gas deposits. Nevertheless, many energy projects widely announced by the Americans and Poles have not been implemented to this date, that indicates much more political content than economic one.

Keywords: USA, Poland, energy, strategy, US-Polish relations.

Authors:

Alexey G. Ivanov, Associate Professor, Candidate of History, Associate Professor at the Department of World History, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Yurij A. Naumov, student of the Department of World History, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Ivanov A. G. Kanada i voina v Irake 2003-2011 gg., Aktual'nye problemy mezhdunarodnykh otnoshe-nii i diplomatii (vtoraya polovina KhKh – nachalo KhKhІ v.): materialy mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf., Vitebsk, 25–26 aprelya 2013 g. / otv. red.: A. P. Kosov, Vitebsk, VGU im. P. M. Masherova, 2013, pp. 83–87.

2. Kasem M. Energeticheskaya bezopasnost' Evropy: protivoborstvo Rossii i SShA, PolitBook, 2017, no. 2, pp. 147–159.

3. Mastepanov A. M. Slantsevyi gaz: chto on neset Rossii?, Rossiiskii Sovet po mezhdunarodnym delam [sait], URL: http://russiancouncil.ru/inner/?id_4=1046&from=nov2rus#top (data obrashcheniya: 12.08.2022).

4. Orlik I. I. Tsentral'no-Vostochnaya Evropa: zavershenie postsotsialisticheskoi transformatsii, Mir Peremen [The World of Transformations], 2016, no 2, pp. 66–80.

5. Ofitserov-Bel'skii D. V. Vyshegradskoe sotrudnichestvo: Poisk novykh form na fone ukrainskogo kri-zisa // Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya. 2015. № 3. S. 76–85.

6. Potemkin A. O., Karnaukhov V. D. Proekt «Troemor'ya» vo vneshnepoliticheskikh doktrinakh SShA i Pol'shi, Nauka. Tekhnologii. Innovatsii : sb. nauch. trudov. v 9-ti chch, vol. Ch.8, Novosibirsk, 02–06 dekabrya 2019 g. / pod red. A. V. Gadyukinoi, Novosibirsk, NGTU, 2019, pp. 568–570.

7. Tikhonova S. V. Razvitie germano-pol'skogo protivostoyaniya v kontekste obshcheevropeiskikh energeticheskikh protsessov, Problemy natsional'noi strategii [National Strategy Issues], 2016, no. 3, pp. 89–105.

8. Cohen S. Geography and Politics in a World system, New York, 2003, 324 p.

9. Cohen S. Geopolitical realities and United States foreign policy, Political Geography, 2003, no. 22, pp. 17-23.

10. Friedman G. Nowe mocarstwo nad Wisla. Rzeczpospolita, 2008, Art. 1, pp. 51-60.

11. Intermarium ‒ Polen wird zur US-Hand in Europa, World economy wirtschaft & finanzen newsreport. [Electronic resource], URL: https://www.world-economy.eu/pro-contra/details/article/intermarium-polen-wird-zur-us-hand-in-europa (Access mode: 12.08.2022).

12. Kaplan R. D. The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate, New York, 2012, 546 p.

13. Lenczowski J. Full Spectrum Diplomacy and Grand Strategy: Reforming the Structure and Culture of US Foreign Policy, New York, 2011, 128 p.

14. Luttwak E. Add Poland, No Security, The Moscow Times, 22.04.1997, Art. 3.

15. Stеpniewski T. The Eastern Policy of the European Policy of the European Union: The Role of Poland. Warsaw, 2016, pp. 181–194.

For citation

Ivanov A. G., Naumov Yu. A. Poland in the US Energy Strategy in the 2010s, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2022, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 23-28.