Download PDF

Abstract. The article is devoted to the analysis and reconstruction of the nature and forms of relations between the peripheral regions of Eastern Europe and ancient centers in the II century B.C. – the first centuries A.D.  Within the framework of the stated problem, the issues related to the relationship of the Roman Empire with the nomadic tribes of the steppe belt of Eurasia remain the least studied. One of the most important issues is the understanding of how and how imported Roman and Byzantine goods  produced in Italy came outside, into areas that were not directly linked to ancient centres, such as the Don’s and Kuban areas. The set of import items presented in the article is very diverse and includes both imported mass-produced products and luxury goods. The study confirms the hypothesis that the peak of the inflow of imported goods and coins of Roman production falls on the I-II cc. A.D., the period of the most active contacts between the barbarians and the Roman Empire, largely due to the stabilization of the political situation in the steppe zone. Thus, it can be stated that in the development of Roman-barbaric relations up to the middle of the III c. A.D. contacts show a tendency of slow but continuous growth.

Keywords: international trade, Volga-Kamye, nomads, luxury goods, imported items, coins, ancient centers, Byzantium, Rome.

Аuthor:

Andrey V. Bezrukov, Ph.D. in History, Associate Professor of the Department Ancient history, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Akbulatov I. M., Obydennov M. F. Pogrebeniya kochevnikov nachala nashei ery iz zony Ishtuganovskogo vodokhranilishch // Pamyatniki kochevnikov Yuzhnogo Urala : sb. statei /otv. red. V. A. Ivanov. Ufa , BF AN SSSR, 1984, pp. 46–54.

2. Bader O. N., Smirnov A. P. «Serebro Zakamskoe» pervykh vekov nashei ery, Trudy Gosudarstvennogo istoricheskogo muzeya. Pamyatniki kul'tury; Vol. 13, M. : Goskul'tprosvetizdat, 1954. 26 p.

3. Bezrukov A. V. Rimskaya bronzovaya posuda na territorii Urala, Povolzh'ya i Prikam'ya (po materialam arkheologicheskikh kompleksov I v. do n. e. – IV v. n. e.), Problemy istorii, filologii, kul'tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies], 1999, no 8, pp. 54–60.

4. Bezrukov A. V. Sarmaty Yuzhnogo Priural'ya i Nizhnego Povolzh'ya na Velikom shelkovom puti, Problemy istorii, filologii, kul'tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies], 2000, no  9, pp. 149–155.

5. Bezrukov A. V. Torgovo-ekonomicheskie svyazi Volgo-Kam'ya po dannym pis'mennykh i arkheologicheskikh istochnikov (VI v. do n. e. – VII v. n. e.), Problemy istorii, filologii, kul'tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies], 2008, no 22, pp. 128–136.

6. Bezrukov A. V. Importnye rimskie i vizantiiskie serebryanye izdeliya na territorii Volgo-Kam'ya (po materialam arkheologicheskikh kompleksov I v. do n.e. – V-VII vv. n. e.), Problemy istorii, filologii, kul'tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies], Magnitogorsk, 2015, no 3, pp. 253-263.

7. Botalov S. G., Ivanov A. A. Novyi kompleks kochevoi aristokratii gunno-sarmatskogo vremeni v Yuzhnom Zaural'e, Problemy istorii, filologii, kul'tury [Journal of Historical, Philological and Cultural Studies], 2012, no 2, pp. 268‑278.

8. Bulatova N. M., Dvornichenko V. V., Zilivinskaya I. D., Fedorov-Davydov G. A. Sokrovishcha sarmatskikh vozhdei i drevnie goroda Povolzh'ya. Moscow, Nauka,1989, 280 p.

9. Kropotkin V. V. Klady rimskikh monet na territorii SSSR, Arkheologiya SSSR. Svod arkheologicheskikh istochnikov, G4-4, Moscow, Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1961, 276 p.

10. Kropotkin V. V. Klady vizantiiskikh monet na territorii SSSR, Arkheologiya SSSR. Svod arkheologicheskikh istochnikov. D1–27, Moscow, Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1962, 284 p.

11. Kropotkin V. V. Rimskie importnye izdeliya v Vostochnoi Evrope (II v. do n. e. – V v. n. e.), Arkheologiya SSSR. Svod arkheologicheskikh istochnikov. D1–27, Moscow, Izd-vo AN SSSR, 1970, 291 p.

12. Kropotkin V. V, Obydennov M. F. Nakhodka antichnykh monet v pogrebenii kochevnika na Yuzhnom Urale, Sovetskaya arkheologiya, 1985, no 2, pp. 228–223.

13. Luk'yashko S. I. O karavannoi torgovle aorsov, Drevnosti Evrazii v skifo-sarmatskoe vremya. Moscow, Nauka, 1984, pp. 61–65.

14. Monakhov S. Yu. O khronologii sarmatskogo pogrebeniya s gerakleiskoi amforoi iz Bashkirii, Liber archaeologicae: sbornik statei, posvyashchennyi 60-letiyu Borisa Aronovicha Raeva / Rossiiskaya akad. nauk, Yuzhnyi nauch. tsentr ; [otv. red. A. V. Simonenko]; Rostov-na-Donu: YuNTs RAN, pp. 89–93.

15. Polibii. Vseobshchaya istoriya / Per. s grech. F.G. Mishchenko. Saint Petersburg, Nauka, Yuventa, 1994-1995. 495 p.

16. Strabon Geografiya / Per., st. i kom. G.A. Stratanovskogo [pod obshch. red. S.L. Utchenko]. Moscow, Ladomir, 1994, 940p.

17. Shilov V. P. Pogrebeniya sarmatskoi znati I v. do n. e. – I v. n. e., Soobshcheniya gosudarstvennogo Ermitazha, 1956, no  IX, pp.  42–45.

18. Shramm G. Reki Severnogo Prichernomor'ya (istoriko-filologicheskoe issledovanie ikh nazvanii v rannikh vekakh). Vzglyad izdaleka. Nemetskie istoriki o proshlom Vostochnoi Evropy, Moscow, Izd-vo Eastern Commumications, 1997, 155 p.

19. Shtatman I. L. Volzhskii put' postupleniya vizantiiskikh mi-liarisiev v Vostochnuyu Evropu i Pribaltiku v X veke, Istoriya i kul'tura slavyanskikh stran / Pod red. V. V. Mavrodina, Leningrad, Izd-vo Leningr. un-ta, 1972, pp.  32–36.

20. Bozi F. The Nomads of Eurasia in Strabo // The archaeology of the steppes methods and strategies. Papers from the International Symposium held in Naples, 9–12 November 1992. Napoli. 1994. P. 24–46.

For citation

Bezrukov A. V. Trade Contacts the Volga and the Kama Region in the Late bc – early ad Centuries (Written Records, archaeological and numismatic Sources), Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2018, vol. 2, no 3, pp. 21‑28.