Download PDF

Abstract. The article is written within the interdisciplinary researches uniting problems of history of literature, sociology and psychology of reading, intertextuality and gender studies. E. A. Dyakonova’s reader’s reception of I. S. Turgenev novel “Fathers and children” is a subject of studying. One note is devoted to the novel in Dyakonova’s diary (of November 19, 1894) . In the center of the quotes which are written out from the novel is a cancelled love story between Odintsova and Bazarov. Commenting on quotes, Dyakonova identifies herself with Turgenev’s heroine, and first of all with her such qualities, as indifference and coldness in relation to men and to sensual love. The diarist regards the relations of the man (Bazarov) and the woman (Odintsova) as a certain duel, as punishment of the first one and self-affirmation of the second. Thus, projecting novelistic situations on her own life, the twenty-years-old provincial girl demonstrates fear of love and sexual intercourses, marriage and immaturity of the psycho-sexual development. It is quite difficult to explain the arising paradox: on the one hand, the circle of Dyakonova’s reading, her assertions about reading and about the life surrounding her find the personality with very high level of development of intelligence and the emotional sphere; on the other – the area of her sexual experiences is suppressed. The authors admit multifactorial emergence of the corresponding phobias and complexes, still in this article making emphasis only upon “a reading factor”.

Keywords: Elizaveta Dyakonova’s diary, I. S. Turgenev’s «Fathers and children», reader’s reception, reading factor, female fears, gender.

Authors:

Aleksey V. Petrov, Associate Professor, Doctor of Science in Philology, Professor at the Department of Linguistics and Literature, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Nataliya V. Yarina, Graduate student, Department of Linguistics and Literature, Institute for the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University (NMSTU), This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Abramzon T. E., Zajceva T. B., Rudakova S. V. Romanticheskaya kon-cepciya krasoty v rasskaze Chekhova «Krasavicy», Problemy istorii, filologii, kul'tury [Problems of History, Philology and Culture], 2016, no. 21 (52), pp. 343–355.

2. Basinskij P. V. Posmotrite na menya: Tajnaya istoriya Lizy D'yakonovoj, Moscow: Izd-vo AST: Redakciya Eleny SHubinoj, 2018. 448 p.

3. Bocharova O. Kto chitaet lyubovnye romany? Monitoring obshchestven-nogo mneniya: ehkonomicheskie i social'nye peremeny [Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes], 1998, no. 3 (35), pp. 49–51.

4. Ivanov Iv. Ivan Sergeevich Turgenev. Zhizn' – lichnost' – tvorchestvo. St. Petersburg: Tip. I. N. Skorohodova, 1896. 392 p.

5. Kondakov I. Po tu storonu slova (Krizis literaturocentrizma v Rossii XX–XXI vv.) [Elektronnyj resurs] // Voprosy literatury [The literary questions], 2008, no. 5. URL: http://magazines.russ.ru/voplit/2008/5/ko5.html

6. Nevskaya T. M., Petrov A. V. Dnevniki i lirika V. A. Zhukovskogo kak sistema duhovnyh uprazhnenij: masonskaya tradiciya, Mirovaya literatura glazami sovremennoj molodezhi: sbornik materialov III mezhdunar. studench. nauchno-prakt. konf. Magnitogorsk: Izd-vo MGTU im. G. I. Nosova, 2017, pp. 46–50.

7. Petrov A. V. Wedding poetry in the Russian literary culture of the XVIII –early XIX centuries. Magnitogorsk, MaGU, 2013, 238 p.

8. Pisarev D. I. Literaturnaya kritika: V 3 t. Leningrad: Hudozh. lit., 1981. 360 p.

9. Turysheva O. N. Kniga – chtenie – chitatel' kak predmet literatury. Ekate-rinburg, Izd-vo Ural'skogo universiteta, 2011, 338 p.

10. Turysheva O. N. Russkij literaturocentrizm v aspekte literaturnoj re-fleksii, Ural'skij filologicheskij vestnik. Seriya: Russkaya klassika: dinamika hudozhestvennyh system [Ural Philological Bulletin], 2013, no. 1, pp. 228–243.

11. Chernyshev K. Lishnie lyudi i zhenskie tipy v romanah i povestyah I. S. Turgeneva. Opyt razbora literaturnogo tipa russkih lishnih lyudej, kak mate-rial dlya harakteristiki razvitiya obshchestva. St. Petersburg, Tip. I. Gol'dberga, 1896, 281 p.

12. Yukina I. I. Russkij feminizm kak vyzov sovremennosti. St. Petersburg, Aletejya, 2007, 544 p.

For citation

Petrov A. V., Yarina N. V. «If Somebody Made a Declaration of Love to me, What Would Come out it?»: Novel «Fathers and Children» in Elizaveta Dyakonova’s Perception, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2018, vol. 2, no 4, pp. 44‑50.