Download PDF 

Abstract. The article is devoted to the study of the activities of children's institutions in Magnitogorsk for homeless and neglected children during the great Patriotic war. Besides, the authors tried to consider the Logistics of city’s special anti-children’s homelessness and neglect institutions. The article is written in the framework of local history, urban history, the history of everyday life. The novelty of the work lies in the study of the homelessness and the neglect in Magnitogorsk during the second world war on the basis of archival, previously unused documents. There were evacuated orphanages, children's receiver - distributor at NKVD, schools of FZO, and also local institutions on the arrangement of the children left without parental support in the city by the beginning of war. In the course of the study, the authors conclude that the activities of children's institutions were based on the existing legislation of the Soviet Union. However, in practice, the organization of such institutions was accompanied by a number of problems. Evacuated children's homes were in a particularly difficult situation, as they arrived in Magnitogorsk almost without anything and the city had an additional burden on the organization and ensure their normal functioning. Nevertheless, local authorities managed to create not only a system of institutions for homeless and neglected children, but also to ensure its successful functioning in wartime. Thanks to joint efforts of local authorities, employees of orphanages and the community it was possible to stop the growth of the homelessness and the neglect in Magnitogorsk by the end of the war and to use the accumulated experience in the future.

Keywords: homelessness, neglect, the USSR, Magnitogorsk, the Great Patriotic war, state policy, receiver-distributor.

Author:

Elena M. Buryak - Ph.D. in History, associate professor at the Department of World history, Institute of the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Natalia V. Svistova - master student Institute of the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

References

1. Besprizornost' na Urale v 1929–1941 gg.: sbornik dokumentov i materialov, Ekaterinburg: Izdatel'stvo AMB, 2009, 736 p.

2. Rostova O. S. Pravovaja ohrana materinstva i detstva v Rossii (sovetskij period): monografija, Moscow, Izdatel'stvo «Sputnik +», 2009, 175 p.

3. Rjabova T. S. Patronirovanie, opeka, usynovlenie v gody Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojny: normativno-pravovaja baza i regional'nye praktiki (na materialah Juzhnogo Urala), Problemy istorii, filologii i kul'tury [Problems of History, Philology and Culture], 2011, no. 2, pp. 187-196.

4. Rjabova T. S. Strategii vyzhivanija besprizornikov Cheljabinskoj oblasti v jekstremal'nyh uslovijah Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojny 1941–1945,   Problemy istorii, filologii i kul'tury [Problems of History, Philology and Culture], 2012. no. 3, pp. 133-140.

5. Rjabova, T. S. Zhizn' besprizornikov i beznadzornyh detej v gody Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojny, Ural industrial'nyj. Bakuninskie chtenija: materialy VIII Vserossijskoj nauchnoj konferencii, 2007, pp. 220-223.

For citation

Buryak E. M., Svistova N .V. Organization of the System of Children's Homes and Special Institutions in Magnitogorsk During the Great Patriotic War, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2018, vol. 2, no 4, pp. 28‑35.