Download PDF

Abstract. The relevance of the study is related to the interest in local history, the history of urbanization, urban planning, the desire to recreate a holistic picture of the formation of the USSR during the thaw, as well as the need to offer a vision of development of Magnitogorsk city of in this period. The article presents the transition from elite architecture - "Stalin Empire" to the mass architecture initiated by N. S. Khrushchev. The aim of the transition was to provide the population of the USSR with individual apartments. The authors consider the stages of construction of urban areas, analyze the problems of transition to large-panel housing, show the specifics of Magnitogorsk. The study of the "Khrushchev reform", its significance and regional features are the object of study of leading experts in the history and history of architecture: M. G. Meerovich, S. S. Dukhanov, S. G. Kara-Murza, E. V. Konysheva. However, at the moment there are no studies that would present architectural appearance of Magnitogorsk and reflect its specificity. For an objective study of the research problem, a comprehensive approach was used, which involves the use of General scientific and special scientific methods, as well as methods of interdisciplinary areas of historical research. In this work, the authors found the use of the historical-comparative, historical-systematic and retrospective methods. A set of approaches to local history has provided significant assistance in the disclosure of the topic. On the basis of various sources (unpublished office documentation, plans and schemes of quarterly development, selected in the «Сity archive» of the Magnitogorsk; materials of the periodical press; results of interviewing of citizens; the electronic reference book 2GIS) authors draw the following conclusions: first, during the thaw in the territory of Magnitogorsk various experiments in the field of town-planning proceeded; secondly, as well as during the formed industrialization plans of building were regularly broken and revised owing to objective and subjective reasons; thirdly, Magnitogorsk became the firstborn of practical use of a method of large-panel housing construction; fourth, the features of the implementation of urban development during the thaw formed the features of the modern urban environment with its advantages and disadvantages; fifth, the pace of housing construction lagged behind the pace of population growth; sixth, the presence of spontaneous development.

Keywords: history, USSR, Ural, Magnitogorsk, urban planning, panel housing construction.

Аuthors:

Nadezhda N. Makarova - Ph.D. in History, associate professor at the Department of World history, Institute of the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Egor V. Arkaev - master student Institute of the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Baranov K., Shkvarnikov V., Galaktionov A., Radov G. Osnovy sovetskogo stroitel'stva, V 2 t., T. 1. Moscow, Sroiizdat, 1966, 415 p.

2. Baranov K., Shkvarnikov V., Galaktionov A., Radov G. Osnovy sovetskogo stroitel'stva, V 2 t., T. 2, Moscow, Sroiizdat, 1967, 344 p.

3. Kazarinova V. I., Pavlenkov V. I. Magnitogorsk. / pod red. G. B. Minervina, Moscow, Gos-stroiizdat, 1961, 248 p.

4. Konysheva E. V. Poligon dlya eksperimenta: zapadnye gradostroitel'nye novatsii v proektakh Val'tera Shvagenshtaidta dlya sovetskikh sotsialisticheskikh gorodov, Academia. Arkhitektura i stroitel'stvo. Moscow, 2017, no. 1, pp. 85-91.

5. Konysheva E. V. Solntse vozdukh i dom dlya vsekh? Evropeiskii opyt massovogo zhilishchnogo stroitel'stva i ego sovetskie variatsii v gody pervykh pyatiletok, QuaestioRossica, 2016, no. 3, pp. 34-54.

6. Meerovich M. G. Khrushchevskaya zhilishchnaya reforma: bor'ba s «arkhitekturnymi izlishestvami» - nakazanie «vinovnykh», Oktyabr' 1917 v istorii arkhitektury i izobrazitel'nogo iskusstva Sibiri : Izbrannye tezisy Vserossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii, priurochennoi k stoletiyu Oktyabr'skoi revolyutsii 1917 goda / otv. red. D. D. Garkusha, E. Yu. Orlova, S. S. Dukhanov. Novosibirsk, Novosibirskii gosudarstvennyi universitet arkhitektury, dizaina i iskusstv, 2017, pp. 101-107.

7. Meerovich M. G. Khrushchevskaya zhilishchnaya reforma: pervye shagi, Oktyabr' 1917 v istorii arkhitektury i izobrazitel'nogo iskusstva Sibiri. Novosibirsk, 2017, pp. 88-93.

8. Meerovich M. G. Nakazanie zhilishchem. Zhilishchnaya politika v SSSR kak sredstvo upravleniya lyud'mi. 1917-1937 gg., Moscow, ROSSPEN, 2008, 303 p.

9. Meerovich M. G. Sotsialisticheskii gorod: formirovanie gorodskikh obshchnostei i sovetskaya zhilishchnaya politika v 1930-e gody, Sovetskaya sotsial'naya politika 1920‑1930-kh godov: ideologiya i povsednevnost' / pod red. P. Romanova, E. Yarskoi-Smirnovoi, Moscow, OOO «Variant», TsSPGI, 2007, pp. 84-118.

10. Sibirskie stroiteli: sobytiya i sud'by: Sbornik statei Vserossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii / red. D. V. Kirilyuk, M. A. Avimskaya, A. S.Ivanov, Kurgan, OOO «Kurganskii dom pechati», 2017, 564 p.

11. Khan-Magomedov S. O. Konstantin Mel'nikov, Moscow, Arkhitektura, 2007, 296 p.

12. Elektronnyi spravochnik s kartami gorodov: 2GIS. URL: https://2gis.ru/magnitogorsk.

For citation

Arkaev E. V., Makarova N. N. Urban Space of Magnitogorsk: Stages of Urban Development and the Search for New Architectural Solutions (1953-1964), Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2018, vol. 2, no 4, pp. 18‑27