Download PDF

Abstract

This article considers the peculiarities of keywords choosing and mentioning in English-language science articles of world history from history journals, which are indexed in Scopus international abstract and citation base. It presents such aspects as choosing keywords to approach the chosen theme of science text and trend of mentioning the keywords directly in the text of article. The research material includes 12 different articles from 4 English-language history journals, The Journal of Medieval History, The Journal of Pacific History, Cultural and Social History, The International Journal of History of Sport. The keywords were studied from the perspectives of their total amount, structure and frequency of references in a text. A definition of tag as one of keyword types is present in this paper; a tag is a word or word collocation which is included in the list of keywords but is never mentioned in headlines, abstracts or texts. The study has showed that the average amount of keywords in articles from English-language history journal varies from 5 to 6 and not only meets the journal requirements, but also corresponds to human short term memory. As a rule, the keywords have very high frequency of mentioning inside the article text. Another research made on Russian-language material using the same methods showed that tags are used less frequently in the articles from English-language humanities journals than the related Russian-language articles.

Keywords: keyword, tag, frequency of mention, science text, science article, history journal, English-language journal

Author:

Mark A. Ekimov, Masters student, Department of Russian Philology and Applied Communications, Humanities Institute, Cherepovets State University (ChSU), Cherepovets, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Abramov E. G. Podbor klyuchevykh slov dlya nauchnoi stat'I, Nauchnaya periodika: problemy i resheniya, 2011, no. 2, pp. 35–40.

2. Afonin S. A., Bakhtin A. V. Ob odnom metode avtomaticheskogo postroeniya giperonimov s pomoshch'yu vneshnei poiskovoi sistemy, III Vserossiiskaya konferentsiya s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem «Znaniya – Ontologii — Teorii» (ZONT-2011), Novosibirsk, 3–5 oktyabrya 2011, pp. 1–10.

3. Busygina O. A. Strukturno-semanticheskii analiz klyuchevykh slov k nauchnoi stat'e (na materiale «Vestnika ChGU»), Problemy porozhdeniya i vospriyatiya rechi : materialy XI vyezdnoi shkoly-seminara (7-8 dekabrya 2012 g., Cherepovets) / Otv. red. R.L. Smulakovskaya, Cherepovets, ChGU, 2013, pp. 5–11.

4. Vanyushkin A. S., Grashchenko L. A. Metody i algoritmy izvlecheniya klyuchevykh slov, Novye informa-tsionnye tekhnologii v avtomatizirovannykh sistemakh, 2016, no.19, pp. 85–93.

5. Grineva M., Grinev M., Lizorkin D. Analiz tekstovykh dokumentov dlya izvlecheniya tematicheski sgrup-pirovannykh klyuchevykh terminov, Trudy Instituta sistemnogo programmirovaniya RAN, 2009, pp. 155–165.

6. Ekimov M. A. Osobennosti podbora klyuchevykh slov v russkoyazychnykh nauchnykh stat'yakh (na materiale zhurnalov po istorii iz spiska VAK), Vestnik magistratury, 2020, no. 1–5, pp. 65–71.

7. Ivanitskaya E. V. Stat'ya kak element nauchnoi kommunikatsii: osobennosti formirovaniya nauchnogo av-toriteta v mezhdunarodnom soobshchestve, Nauchnyi redaktor i izdatel' [Science Editor and Publisher], 2018, no. 3 (1-2), pp. 44–51.

8. Kazakova A. G. Nauchnaya stat'ya kak rezul'tat deyatel'nosti issledovatelya, Kul'tura i obrazovanie [Culture and education], 2013. no. 1 (10), pp. 109–115.

9. Kamshilova O. N. Malye formy nauchnogo teksta: klyuchevye slova i annotatsiya (informatsionnyi as-pekt), Izvestiya Rossiiskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta im. A.I. Gertsena. Filologiya [Izvestia: Herzen University Journal of Humanities & Sciences], 2013, no. 56, pp. 107–117.

10. Kolesnikova N. I. Chto vazhno znat' o yazyke i stile nauchnykh tekstov, Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii. V pomoshch' aspirantu. 2010, no.3, pp. 130–137.

11. Moskvitina T. N. Klyuchevye slova i ikh funktsii v nauchnom tekste, Izvestiya ChGPU, Filologiya i is-kusstvovedenie [South Ural State Humanitarian Pedagogical University Bulletin], 2009, no. 11, pp. 277–283.

12. Osipova I. A. Model'noe predstavlenie protsessov ponimaniya teksta na osnove klyuchevykh slov, Vestnik Orenburgskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Vestnik of the Orenburg State University], 2012, no. 11 (147), pp. 100–105.

13. Rodriges V. Kak napisat' effektivnye zaglavie stat'i i avtorskoe rezyume i vybrat' podkhodyashchie klyuchevye slova, Nauchnyi redaktor i izdatel' [Science Editor and Publisher], 2018, no. 3 (1-2), pp. 81–84.

14. Sakharnyi L. V., Shtern A. S. Nabor klyuchevykh slov kak tip teksta, …Slovo otzovetsya: pamyati A. S. Shtern i L. V. Sakharnogo, Perm', Izd-vo Permskogo un-ta, 2006, pp. 50–59.

15. Sheremet'eva S. O., Osminin P. G. Metody i modeli avtomaticheskogo izvlecheniya klyuchevykh slov, Vestnik Yuzhno-Ural'skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Lingvistika [Bulletin of South Ural State University, Series «Linguistics»], 2015, no.1, vol. 12, pp. 76–81.

16. Arjukhina E. G., Grudeva E. V., Churilina L. N. On secondary text as a structural and semantic unity, Voprosy Kognitivnoy Lingvistiki [Issues of Cognitive Linguistics], 2017, no. 2 (51), pp. 101–106.

For citation

Ekimov M.A. Peculiarities of Keywords Choosing for English Language Science Articles (Basing on Data of History Journals Included in Scopus Base), Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2020, vol. 4, no 2, pp.47-55