Download PDF

Abstract

The article is devoted to current problem of Russian literary criticism at the turn of the 20th – 21st centuries – the contemporary reading of “The Life of Klim Samgin” by M. Gorky, a final work of the Russian literature classic of the XX century. The object of analysis is epic by M. Gorky, created by the writer in 1927–1936ss. The analysis is being carryied out through the prism of a new reading of the story “The Life of Klim Samghin (Forty Years)”. The reconstruction of “course of Russian history” allowed the writer to depict and comprehend the Russian world at the turn of the XIX and XX centuries. This task demanded a new writing strategy from M. Gorky. The author of this article hypothesizes: the reflecting type of hero (Samgin) dictated certain conditions to the writer, including a special way of narration and principles of the textual organization of the epic “The Life of Klim Samgin”. The booklore, extraordinary richness of narrative with intertextual techniques (quotes, reminiscences, allusions, etc.) are noteworthy. Besides the epic plot about the revolutionary era, there is a base text in the variety of plot lines, - a grandiose “building” from many texts of the previous world literature. The “intertextual” field is a “book stream”: from the ancient literary monuments (the ancient Russian annals, literary monuments, the Finnish epos “Kalevala”, the Russian folklore, modern storytellers (Fedosova) to the Western European poetry and philosophical works at the turn of the XIX-XX centuries. The foregoing made it necessary to research the problem that we designated as the “reading mode” of the epic “The Life of Klim Samgin”. Methodology of this article: the author uses a complex of biographic, historical, literary and typological methods in combination with methods for studying intertextual connections.

Keywords: Russian literature, the XX century, M. Gorky, а epic, «The Life of Klim Samgin», intertextuality.

Аuthor:

Maya L. Bedrikova, Docent, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Docent of Linguistics and Literary Studies Department, Institute of the Humanities, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Bakhtin M. M. Voprosy literatury i estetiki, Moscow, Khudozhestvennaya literatura, 1975, 504 p.

2. Bedrikova M. L. Roman K. Fedina «Goroda i gody» v svete problematiki russkoi prozy 1920-kh gg., Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2017, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 72–78.

3. Bedrikova M. L. O missii pokoleniya russkoi intelligentsii kontsa XIX–nachala XX vv. (M. Gor'kii «Zhizn' Klima Samgina»), Libri Magistri, vol. 1(11), 2020, pp. 45–61.

4. Vainberg I. Gor'kii, znakomyi i neznakomyi, M. Gor'kii. Nesvoevremennye mysli: Zametki o revolyutsii i kul'ture, Moscow, Sovetskii pisatel', 1990, pp. 3–74.

5. Gavrish T. R. Povest' ili roman? (K voprosu o zhanre «Zhizn' Klima Samgina»), Maksim Gor'kii: pro et contra, antologiya. Sovremennyi diskurs / sost: O. V. Bogdanova, V. T. Zakharova, L. A. Spiridonova, M. G. Urtmintseva, Saint Petersburg, RKhGA, 2018, pp. 795–804.

6. Gurfinkel' N. Samgin Klim, Bol'shaya entsiklopediya literaturnykh geroev, v 4 tt. T. 4. R–Ya / pod red. M. Globacheva, Moscow, TERRA-Knizhnyi Klub, 2001, p.81.

7. Konyushenko E. I. Gor'kii mif KhKh veka (zametki i razmyshleniya o Maksime Gor'kom), Maksim Gor'kii: pro et contra, antologiya. Sovremennyi diskurs / sost. O. V. Bogdanova, V. T. Zakharova, L. A. Spiridonova, M. G. Urtmintseva, Saint Petersburg, RKhGA, 2018, pp. 90–123.

8. Kuz'michev I. K. V khudozhestvennom mire Maksima Gor'kogo, Maksim Gor'kii: pro et contra, antologiya. Sovremennyi diskurs / sost. O. V. Bogdanova, V. T. Zakharova, L. A. Spiridonova, M. G. Urtmintseva. Saint Petersburg, RKhGA, 2018, pp. 47–56.

9. Maksim Gor'kii: pro et contra, antologiya. Sovremennyi diskurs / sost. O. V. Bogdanova, V. T. Zakharova, L. A. Spiridonova, M. G. Urtmintseva, Saint Petersburg, RKhGA, 2018, 880 p.

10. Nike M. Ekfrasis v «Zhizni Klima Samgina» Gor'kogo, Maksim Gor'kii: pro et contra, antologiya. Sovremennyi diskurs / sost. O. V. Bogdanova, V. T. Zakharova, L. A. Spiridonova, M. G. Urtmintseva, Saint Petersburg, RKhGA, 2018, pp. 790–794.

11. Olyander L. K. Gor'kovskaya khudozhestvenno-filosofskaya model' russkoi zhizni v romane «Zhizn' Klima Samgina», Maksim Gor'kii: pro et contra, antologiya. Sovremennyi diskurs / sost. O. V. Bogdanova, V. T. Zakharova, L. A. Spiridonova, M. G. Urtmintseva, Saint Petersburg, RKhGA, 2018, pp. 719–728.

12. P'ege-Gro N. Vvedenie v teoriyu intertekstual'nosti / per. s fr. pod obshch. red i vstup. st. G. K. Kosikova, Moscow, Izdatel'stvo LKI, 2008, 240 p.

13. Faritov V. T. Volya k vlasti i sub"ekt v khudozhestvennoi proze M. Gor'kogo (nitssheanskie motivy v povesti «Zhizn' Klima Samgina»), Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Filologiya [Tomsk State University Journal of Philology], 2019, no. 62, pp. 62–277.

For citation

Bedrikova M. L. The story by M. Gorky «The life of klim samghin»: the reading mode, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2020, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 45–54.