Download PDF

Abstract

The Great Patriotic War went a heavy burden on the fate of all Soviet Union citizens. Many parents, in order to save their children, sent them for a while to children's boarding schools, located in settlements far from the places of hostilities, mainly in the Urals and Siberia. The article examines the activities of the boarding school for children of health workers in Moscow, evacuated to the South Urals during the Great Patriotic War. The labor feat of the its head Rebekah Borisovna Slavina in organizing the life of the boarding school pupils in wartime conditions is in the spotlight. The work of the boarding school is analyzed, first in the period of Kyshtym town, and later – in the village Metlino, located 30 kilometers from the town. The boarding school functioned in the Chelyabinsk region from 1941 to 1943. Despite the difficult wartime, the leadership managed to save all the children: not a single child died thanks to the selfless work of the boarding school workers and its head. When the military front moved to the West, the boarding school returned from evacuation back to Moscow. The material of the article is based on the recollections of pupils who survived the evacuation within the walls of the Metlinsky boarding school; and also on declassified materials from the State Archives of the Russian Federation and the United State Archives of Chelyabinsk Region. The author of the article studied the problems that R.B. Slavina had to face in the first years of her work; methods of organizing everyday life, educational and extracurricular life of children of health workers are described; the features of pedagogical methods and cultural and educational work with pupils are analyzed. The article is focused primarily on historians, teachers, as well as those who are interested in the history of the Great Patriotic War and the military rear, in particular, in the regional aspect.

Keywords: children's boarding school, children of health workers, the Great Patriotic War, village Metlino, Kaslinsky district, Kyshtym, Chelyabinsk region.

Аuthor:

Kseniya V. Peshkova, postgraduate student of the Department of history of the Chelyabinsk state Institute of culture, Head of the educational and methodological office of history and law of the South Ural state humanitarian pedagogical University. Chelyabinsk, Russia; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

References

1. Belyakov V. V. Organizatsiya i deyatel'nost' shkol'nykh detskikh domov i internatov Moskovskoi oblasti v gody Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny (1941-1945 gg.): avtoref. dis. ... kand. ist. nauk. Moscow MGIAI, 1991. 24 p.

2. Varekhina A.N. Detskie doma na Urale v gody Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny, Pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie v Rossii [Pedagogical Education in Russia], 2012, no. 4, pp. 32–39.

3. Gubarev V. S. Sekretnyi atom, Moscow, Eksmo; Algoritm, 2006, 464 p.

4. Zinich M. S. Vsenarodnaya pomoshch' detyam v period Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny, Sovetskaya pedagogi-ka, 1985, no. 5, pp. 17–23.

5. Zubkova E. Yu. Poslevoennoe sovetskoe obshchestvo: politika i povsednevnost'. 1945–1953, Moscow, ROSSPEN, 2000, 229 p.

6. Istoriya Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny Sovetskogo soyuza 1941-1945 gg.: v 6 tt, T. 2, Otrazhenie sovetskim narodom verolomnogo napadeniya fashistskoi Germanii na SSSR. Sozdanie uslovii dlya korennogo pereloma v voine (iyun' 1941 g. – noyabr' 1942 g.), Moscow, Voenizdat, 1961, 682 p.

7. Kravtsov A. I., Snegireva E. M. Khronika razvitiya obrazovaniya v Satkinskom raione (1930-2001 g.g.), Nauka i sovremennye tekhnologii: Tezisy dokladov 2-i nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii. 20 aprelya 2006 g., Chelyabinsk, Izdatel'stvo YuUrGU, 2002, 20 c.

8. Lebina N. B. Povsednevnaya zhizn' sovetskogo goroda: Normy i anomalii. 1920-1930-e gody, Saint Petersburg, Zhurnal «Neva» - ID «Letnii Sad», 1999, 320 p.

9. Leibovich O. L. V gorode M: ocherki politicheskoi povsednevnosti sovetskoi provintsii v 40-50-kh gg. XX v., Perm' PGTU, 2005, 291 p.

10. Lyutov V. Istoricheskie putevye zametki: Metlino. [Elektronnyi resurs], Provintsial'nye tetradi Vyacheslava Lyutova [sait], URL: https://lyutov70.live journal.com/67799.html.

11. Makarenko A. S. Pedagogicheskaya poema, Moscow, Populyarnaya literatura, 1933, 604 p.

12. Orlova I. B. «Sovetskaya povsednevnost': istoricheskii i sotsiologicheskii aspekty stanovleniya, Moscow, Izd. dom Gos. un-ta - Vysshei shkoly ekonomiki, 2010, 317 p.

13. Ponomareva L., Smirnov V., Dernovaya A., Abrosimova A., Burov N., Vyatkina E., Murzin L., Yur'eva M. Podshivka «Ozerskogo Vestnika»: stat'I, Ozersk, Ozerskii vestnik, 2000-2011 gg.

14. Sadovskikh E. Shkola voennoi pory, Uzelok na pamyat', Kraevedcheskii al'manakh, vol. 2, Satka, [b.i.], 2005, pp. 43–52.

15. Sinitsyn A. M. Zabota o beznadzornykh i besprizornykh detyakh v gody Velikoi Otechestvennoi voiny, Voprosy istorii, 1969, no. 6, pp. 20–29.

16. Fedchenko M. N. Povsednevnaya zhizn' sovetskogo cheloveka (1945-1991 gg.), Kurgan, Izd-vo Kurgansko-go gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2009, 231 p.

For citation

Peshkova K.V. Organizational and Pedagogical Leadership of R. B. Slavina in a Boarding School for Children of Health Workers in the Southern Urals During the Great Patriotic War, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2020, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 36–44.