Download PDF

Abstract

The relevance of the study is determined by the interest in historical and demographic issues at the current moment. The research of an urban population of the Urals as a whole and in certain cities as well has the particular interest. On the bases of census materials of 1920, 1923, 1926, 1937, 1939 and the current accounting data the population dynamics of  one of the industrial centers in the Urals – Zlatous is  analyzed in the article.  There are still no scientific papers on this issue. For the research objective study an integrated approach is used to apply   general scientific and traditional ones and special methods of historical knowledge as well. The article uses historical-genetic, comparative-historical, historical-systemic, statistical-demographic methods, methods of historical-dynamic analysis and descriptive statistics. The author concludes that under the influence of the First World War and the Civil Wars, the following economic devastation and famine of the early 1920s a city population reduced. But since 1924, as the industry of Zlatoust recovered, an increase of the number of citizens began. The modernization of Zlatoust industry, taking place during the years of the first five-year plans, had a particularly strong effect on the population of the city. The article analyzes the age and sex structure of the population of Zlatoust in the 1920–1930s. The author notes that in the 1920s a feature of the city was approximately equal sex ratio due to the specifics of the city industry. But by the end of the 1930s women began to dominate men in the population of the city. Most residents of Zlatoust were able-bodied ones.

Keywords: historical demography, the Urals, Zlatoust, census, urban population, number of population, age and sex structure of population.

Аuthor:

Vera A. Zhuravleva, Associate Professor, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor of Department of Socio-Legal Sciences and Humanities, The branch of South Ural State University (Zlatoust), Zlatoust, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

References

1. Zhiromskaya V. B. Sovetskiy gorod v 1921–1925 gg.: problemy sotsi-al'noy struktury. Moskow, Nauka, 1988, 168 p.

2. Zhiromskaya V. B. Vsesoyuznyye perepisi naseleniya 1926, 1937, 1939 godov: istoriya podgotovki i provedeniya, Istoriya SSSR [History of the USSR], 1990, no. 2, pp. 84–104.

3. Zhiromskaya V. B. Chislennost' naseleniya v Rossii v 1939 g.: poisk istiny, Naseleniye Rossii v 1920–1950-ye gody: chislennost', poteri, migratsii: sb. nauch. st. Mosсow, In-t ross. istorii RAN, 1994, pp. 27–49.

4. Zhiromskaya V. B. Demograficheskaya istoriya Rossii v 1930-ye gg., Vzglyad v neizvestnoye, Mosсow, ROSSPEN, 2001, 280 p.

5. Zhuravleva V. A. Gorodskoye naseleniye Urala v 1920–1930-ye gg., Chelyabinsk, Izdatel'skiy tsentr YUUrGU, 2012, 219 p.

6.  Zhuravleva V. A. Istochniki formirovaniya gorodskogo naseleniya Urala v 1920–1930-ye gg. Chelyabinsk, Izdatel'skiy tsentr YUUrGU, 2014, 242 p.

7. Istoriya narodnogo khozyaystva Urala: v 2 ch. / otv. red. M. A. Sergeyev. Sverdlovsk, Izd-vo UrGU, 1988, vol. I, 256 p.

8. Klimenko M. Razmeshcheniye Ural'skoy promyshlennosti, Khozyaystvo Urala [Economy of the Ural], 1933, no. 1–2, pp. 35–38.

9. Kuz'min A. I., Orudzheva A. G. Istoriko-demograficheskiy portret Yekaterinburga, Izvestiya Ural'skogo gos. un-ta [Izvestia Ural state university journal], 1998, no. 9, pp. 95–100.

10. Lebedev F. Naseleniye Urala (Pervyye itogi perepisi 1926 g.), Khozyaystvo Urala [Economy of the Ural], 1927, no. 1, pp. 136–141.

11. Lebedev F. Predvaritel'nyye itogi perepisi gorodov i poselkov Urala, Izvestiya Ural'skogo oblastnogo ispolnitel'nogo komiteta Sovetov RKK i K [Bulletin of the Ural Regional Executive Committee of the Councils of the RKK and K], 1927, no. 2 (220), pp. 15–16.

12. Lebedev F. Trudovyye resursy Uraloblasti, Khozyaystvo Urala [Econo-my of the Ural], 1928, no. 4, pp. 150–155.

13. Makarova N. N. Mekhanizmy formirovaniya naseleniya novogo goroda v usloviyakh forsirovannoy industrializatsii (po materialam Magnitogorska), Ural'skiy istoricheskiy vestnik [Ural Historical Journal], 2011, no. 1 (30), pp. 71–76.

14. Naseleniye Urala. XX vek. Istoriya demograficheskogo razvitiya / otv. red. V. V. Alekseyev, Yekaterinburg, izd-vo «Yekaterinburg», 1996, 212 p.

15. Petrov K. R. Puti razvitiya Yuzhno-Ural'skoy promyshlennosti, Zlatoustovskiy okrug 1917–1927 gg. (Desyat' let raboty Sovetov RKK i KD Zlato-ustovskogo okruga), Zlatoust, B.i., 1927, pp. 13–66.

16. Tarakanov M. Yu. Naseleniye Nizhnego Tagila v kontse XIX – pervoy polovine XX v., Ural'skiy istoricheskiy vestnik [Ural Historical Journal], 2008, no. 1 (18), pp. 26–29.

For citation

Zhuravleva V. A. Number of Population of Zlatoust in the 1920–1930 Years, Gumanitarno-pedagogicheskie issledovaniya [Humanitarian and pedagogical Research], 2020, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 26–35.